Sporty cars with reasonable insurance

Darn those 20 something year old memories . . . maybe the car was a 1994, we started getting steamy in her 1980-something Lancer Turbo sedan! The Saturn was a huge upgrade. A different time, indeed.

"
I can tell you, I wouldnā€™t rely on what some unknown tells you online, and just buy a car without doing your own due diligence first, based on your location, age, driving history, different insurer, liability limits, etc. Too many variables involved."

Yeah. The conclusion is it really varies. My only suggestion is go for trusted companies.

honestly i just thought some fun analogies would be fun here. i like the idea of unexpectedly high insurance stories too :slight_smile:

What is your rationale for having different deductibles?

I have a lot more chances of having a comprehensive claim than an at fault collision claim.

1 Like

Iā€™ll go one step further, I have different deductibles/coverage on different cars:
Car: comprehensive/collision
Tiguan: $250/$250
Elantra: $250/$500
RSX-S: $250/no-coverage

Priced out $250/$500/$1000. The savings going from $250 to $500 deductible for collision on the Elantra justified it. The savings going to $500 for collision for Tiguan wasnā€™t really worth the savings.

Some cars are like that. Our X2 the difference between $250/500 comprehensive is literally $3/mo. Difference between $500/1000 collision though is closer $14/mo so I choose to roll the dice there.

Iā€™m assuming no collision on the RSX because you donā€™t care if it gets totaled or not?

Well itā€™s not that I donā€™t care if its totaled, but did the cost/benefit analysis and given that the car is only worth about $6k or so, it didnā€™t make sense to pay something like $70+/mo for collision coverage. At the time I made the decision I was driving around 3k miles/year tops on it since it was the extra car. Since we had the baby, Iā€™ve been driving the RSX daily - we had some family staying with us - so left the Elantra at home for them to use and since just figured I might as well drive it while I can until the kiddo goes to daycare and iā€™ll need to drive the wifeā€™s old paid off Elantra more (Tiguan is the newer leased wife-mobile).

Still even now, Iā€™m probably still under 6k miles/year run rate on the RSX even as a daily commuter.

That was probably way more detail than you were asking for, haha.

Nope, that pretty much boils down what I was thinking as well. Thanks for elaborating!

1 Like

Itā€™s a sample size of one, but my MX-5 has been cheap to insure. Quite a bit lower than the 3-series I had before.

My new E450 wagon costs $117/mo because our usage is based on 5k miles a year. (100/300 $1K deduct.)