Hey @tigertas32. I live in SoCal. I actually went through this whole thing with Carvana earlier this month. I got an appraisal for my eGolf back in October 2018. When I went to sell the car, VW gave them a different “dealer quote,” instead of my residual plus remaining payments. I would’ve ended up paying $800 for Carvana to take my car.
Fast forward earlier this month. I got an updated quote from Carvana, it was still in my favor. I decided to pay off the car and get the title from VW. I ended up with the same exact problem. Carvana doesn’t want the car anymore because some idiot at VW filled out the back of the title. Talked to DMV and argued with Carvana, but they don’t want to deal with it.
Here are some suggestions on where you can sell your car. You can try:
- CarMax (1 I called knew the deal with VW/Audi, another said they won’t take it unless I title)
- Vroom (got offer, didn’t finish process because I decided to sell local)
- Trade In Solutions (knew about VW, was willing to take car)
- Shift (I sold my car here. They took my car without issue)
- AutoNation (only got offer)
- Auto dealer. (In the past, my family member sold S4 to BMW dealer. They held the car until title came and took it in as trade-in)
Your situation might be different depending on your residual or however much you paid. I refused to title the car in my name when it was intended for resale. Feel free to message me if you need more help or details.