Sold one to AUTONATION!

2000 miles

Sold my 2018 bmw 340i to autonation. Wasn’t the greatest experience but it’s done with. Buyout was $35,xxx and best offer I got was from my car auction. They offered $37,250 but after running a carfax they saw a hit and run door ding that I had to get repaired. They lowered the offer to $36,000 (upped it to $36,500 after a phone call) but it was less than Autonation. AN quoted me $37,000 but dropped it down to $36,700 after inspection. I got tired of taking time off work to spend half a day in LA traffic to drive to different BMW dealerships so I took the offer. Pretty sure I could have eeked out another grand or so if I kept shopping but it wasn’t worth my time. I had black kidney grills and a carbon fiber spoiler that I hoped would increase the value but no luck. Aesthetic upgrades are basically dead money on most cars which I understand. I guess dealers don’t care about carfax and such which makes sense because I had some repairs I got done on previous leases without issue at turn in. In the end I walked out of the dealership with a $1,xxx check and don’t have to worry about tires/disposition fee when lease is up in a few months.

What does that mean your best offer was “from my car auction”??? The highest offer I received for my 19 BMW x3 was from driveway and carmax for $35,200 and autonation $34000. I have not tried the dealership yet because I feel they will try to sell me a car to get into… Any suggestions? I tried, carvana, vroom and they are all lower for some reason.

I would try KBB cash offer. You never know.

Mycarauction is another 3rd party dealer

Adding another one here for reference, these guys will negotiate and go higher than their initial online offer as others have experienced.

2021 Highlander XSE

Carmax $47,000
Shift $45,100
Carvana - lowball, can’t remember
Autonation online offer $45,750

Was gonna just drop it off at carmax this week but Autonation reached out to me and was desperate for me to bring it in, asked me what I wanted so I said $48k.
Brought it in the same day, after checking it out they gave the full $48k!
MSRP was $47k and I got it at almost 10% off lol

3 Likes

The AutoNation offer I just received ($65,000) is the first that’s been anywhere close to striking distance of my payoff ($66,059) since I started checking about six months ago.

Obviously the payoff has been decreasing with each payment, but I believe this is also well above the previous offers, and those were before BMWFS changed their buyout policies.

Lease is up in June of 2022, and I still think I’ll just buy it for RV ($57k and change) and then decide what to do. Similar vehicles on CarGurus (with more miles; it’s hard to find a 3-year-old comp with 9,000 on the odo) appear to be marketable at comfortably over $70,000.

1 Like

Be very careful with Autonation - I got a strong online offer but the dealer was about an hour away so I thought I should double check to make sure the offer would be honored.

Initially I was told “Oh yes definitely we don’t do that, as long as it is as described you’ll get what you were quoted, make an appointment and bring the car in”

Then the person I was dealing with “wanted to check with his manager”. Two days later he emailed me offering $12,500 less than the online quote so I’m very glad I didn’t waste my time driving there. That was the lowest offer I’ve had from anywhere and $10,000 less than Carvana.

1 Like

That’s is basically my experience with them as well. I received a value range online, then a buyer at the location near me sent an actual offer of $52,500. We were going back and forth about potentially getting a bit more, since me car was in nearly spotless condition. I asked him to please confirm with someone in management (above increasing the value) before I make the 2.5 drive over. He finally agrees and comes back with “so sorry, my manager we can’t offer that”. We’re at $46,500. I would’ve been fuming, had I made that trip for that kind of an offer.

I have a service appointment at my local (non-AutoNation) BMW dealer in the morning, so I submitted an inquiry through their web site.

So let’s see how that compares to the AutoNation offer from a dealer ~100 miles away.

Im done with auto nation. I tried selling them 6 cars in the past 18 months and they are always short. Different makes models as well.

Autonation’s buyout number was more than $200 higher than the buyout Chrysler Capital provided me, so I left. Anyone else have the experience with a higher buyout number than what Chrysler Capital provided you?

I recently sold my X6 to them at the Mt. Kisco location. There offer was about $200 lower than the popular names but the process was seamless but I was out in 45mins and they honored there initial online offer.

Autonation is telling me the extra $200 above my Chrysler Capital payoff statement is due to per diem. Doesn’t sound right since my Chrysler Capital payoff statements have had the same amount when I request them in consecutive days, meaning Chrysler Capital did not add per diem to my payoff statements.

Yes same thing happened to me at carmax and it was the same amount. I still sold since they had by far the best offer

Local dealer politely declined to make an offer, as they are only adding AWD vehicles to their inventory (December / Ohio, not sure I can blame them).

At least they didn’t insult me with a ridiculous offer.

(Rhetorical question) Now, do I try to act on the AutoNation offer? I’d obviously call first and feel them out, but I’m not sure I can comfortably squeeze in a 200-mile roundtrip before I leave town again this weekend.

:thinking:

So Autonation and only BMW dealers can buyout BMWFS leases now?

Sold 2021 Chrysler Pacifica to Autonation for $50,050.

Vroom was $51,100 but cancelled on me and dropped latest offer to $43,100.
Rodo $50,000.
Vroom $50,000 but doesn’t buy leases.
Carmax $49,000 and I had to take in for manual appraisal.

1 Like

AutoNation owns multiple BMW dealers.

I don’t know why this wouldn’t also work with other dealership conglomerates that have BMW franchises under their ownership umbrella, but AutoNation is the one that pops up here most often.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! Just reached out to one near me. Let’s see what they say. Hopefully I’m not SOL!

1 Like