Sold One to ALGo

The algo algorithm is almost entirely based on Manheim wholesale prices. The problem w/ wholesale prices is that it’s based on the average value of a vehicle, non-withstanding it’s options. Thus, pricing derived off MMR needs to be adjusted based on the actual options equipped. By the very nature of averages, half become too low and half become too high. When they are reducing the original offer it’s almost always because your vehicle is lesser equipped compared to average.

4 Likes

I sold 3 cars to them. Two were 2018 Honda Accords 15k and 19k miles coming off leases. Both they claimed would be about $24k.
Upon video inspection of car A they reduced to $20,500 due to multiple dings and scratches on just about every panel of the car. I asked for $21k and got it. Carvana was $18.5k offer, and Carmax was $23k offer.
After the video inspection car B was offered $18.5k because there were sensors broken in the car and they claimed it was very expensive to fix. Negotiated a bit and got $19k from them. Honda had quoted about $1700 to fix these sensors.
Car C was a used 2011 Camry 62k miles. Online offer was $8300. After video inspection they stood by that and I got them up to $9k.
Overall I was happy with the experience. The accords belonged to family members who didn’t want to drive an hour to Carmax. I also imagine Carmax would have reduced payout for the sensor issues on B and damage on A as they were obvious from the moment you got on the car.

1 Like

That may be the case generally. In my specific instance, Acura’s trim levels are pretty straightforward. My car was a 2019 TLX V6 AWD Advance trim, which is the highest they made at that time. It had all of the available features / options.

Just to be clear, I’m not disagreeing with your statement in general - I don’t know enough about how ALGo operates to do that. Just saying that wasn’t the reason for the valuation disconnect for my car.

ALgo is deceptive.
Got a quote for $24,700 on a NEWLY purchased 2021 TOYOTA Basically perfect as picked up from the dealer new.

Did the video appointment and they call back 30 minutes later and said the online was a little high. So they changed to $23,000. We are talking about a new car 1 month old. just got plates, 800 miles. NEW CONDITION.

CarMax in person offer is $24,000
Vroom/TexasAutoDirect (which i 1st went too ) is $21,000 but said if get an offer from CarMax they will beat it.
Waiting for Carvana

bought the car for $22,500 last month.

Working with ALgo now on my low mileage '18 Subaru Impreza Premium 5dr.
ALgo initial offer- 18,500
Vroom- 18,281
Carmax 18,600
Carvana 19,197
Chase Auto Buyout 15,416.46 (including 1,141.96 in taxes)

Carvana then rescinded it’s offer, because the car is <60 days to lease end. Carmax being the next best, but their nearest location is a couple hours away, not worth the drive IMHO.

Followed up with ALgo. They sent a link to complete a “Virtual Inspection” via PAVE Inspect. Pretty cool process, using my smartphone camera. They have good instructions, and even an outline overlay on the camera so you get the correct photos. Took about 10 minutes to take the photos and complete the inspection. Got a call from ALgo a couple hours later. They confirmed that there were no mechanical issues with the car (there are none). Came back with an offer of 18 flat. I let them know that I had higher offers, and they asked what it would take to sell the car today. Told them 18.5 and it’s done. Short hold later, and they accepted. Now I need to send over some photos of ID and reg, sign some paperwork, and they will contact Chase to get the buyout (I presume my cost, minus taxes).

Easy process so far, and I should walk away with some money in my pocket. I’ll update once the deal is complete.

EDIT- Just signed the last bit of paperwork with ALgo. All e-signed, quick and easy.
Sell price 18,500
Payoff 14,274.50
Administrative Fee 95
Net to me 4130.50

Just waiting to hear back when the car will be picked up. Very happy with the overall experience I’ve had with ALgo so far. As other have mentioned, I did get a number of texts and emails after first testing the waters with my car a month ago, which can be kind of annoying, but no moreso than the stupid spam calls and texts that I ignore anyways.

1 Like

Sold a 2nd vehicle to ALGo in the past 6 months.

Sold a 2011 F250 this time. After the deal fell through with GMTV, I went back and negotiated with ALGo, who agreed to come up on their offer by $2k to match GMTV; minus the $95 documentation fee.

6/12- agreed on pricing and got all paperwork done electronically. Also mailed out the title same day using the provided UPS overnight label.
6/15- receive automatic text and email saying all docs received and transport will be contacting me within 48 hours.
6-17- I scheduled pick up for 6/18, but was delayed by the transporter to 6/19.
6/19- Truck picked up 6/19 and was handed a check.

I find ALGo extremely easy to work with based on my 2 transactions. Hope this helps anyone else working on a deal with ALGo or other online vendors.

I sold my 2017 Volvo XC90 to them without any major issue.

The preliminary value came in above anyone else. Vroom, Carvana, Carmax and local dealer. After the virtual inspection, the price dropped by $1k due to miles. That made no sense as the mileage didn’t change from initial value. I pushed back and said I would only take initial value. They called me back in 10 minutes and accepted.

Paperwork was easy and efficient . They picked up the car 5 days later. 4 days later USBank loan was settled .

Good experience .

Anyone used 99drive to sell car? I submitted online for Honda clarity and got an offer. I am asked to take the car to nearby vw dealer to get final price.

Sold my Mustang ‘17 to ALGo
Initial online offer 25200
Offer after video call 23000
I asked for 24000, they accepted(thanks to community members for sharing their experience about negotiating)

Carmax offer: 21900
Carvana offer: 22900
Vroom offer: 22750

My payoff was 15700
Pocketed ~9000

Overall the experience was quick. They towing company took some time to schedule pickup. They handed me the cheque on pickup.

My effective monthly payment ~230 after selling :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Has anyone had a case where they gave you a price after the FaceTime inspection, you accepted, and then they didn’t go through with the deal or tried to lower the price?

I’ve sold to CarMax in the past and VROOM earlier this year. The car I sold to VROOM was in perfect condition with 5k miles so there was no judgement to be made and I knew the condition would be as I reported. This time around I’m trying to help my brother sell his car and it does have sone wear and tear. I’ve had better offers than CarMax, but CarMax is the only one who looked at the car in person. I’m afraid that there is done subjectivity in condition and don’t want someone to change their mind after the fact. I’m hoping with these guys since it’s a FaceTime appraisal that’s less likely, but if there’s any chance of an issue we should probably just take the CarMax offer before it expires.

Sold my 2018 Honda clarity PHEV to AlGo as of Friday. 36000 miles, 3 months til lease is due.

Checked out multiple offers from VROOM, CARVANA, CarMax.
Algo: initial $19.9k, inspected, 19k 1st offer, 19.4 2nd ofer, 19.9 final offer. ACCEPTED
Vroom: $18.9k
Carvana: $19.2k
CarMax: $20.2k (too far w/ no pick up option)

Buyout: $16k
Pocket: $3900

1st time selling a leased car and I can’t praise how seamless the transaction was. The customer experience was incredible (Nick), and process from A to Z was less than 15 minutes. I did a facetime inspection with them and they didn’t even closely inspect the car. I was afraid the curb rash and acorn damage would have been caught, but nope.

Just sold a 2019 Tundra with 13k miles for $49k. Initial offer was $44,500. Negotiated up to $49k. The window sticker was $49,115, so pretty thrilled. It was a US Bank lease so I had to purchase it outright, wait for the title, transfer the title and then sell it. Painful, but my buyout was $37k so total upside is $12k.

4 Likes

I sold my Mazda CX-5 to ALgo, they gave me the most for my car compared to vroom and carvana.

Check ALgo!

1 Like

Initial offer(or I guess estimate) from AlGo was $38.8K.
After facetiming them they reduced to $37.5k.
Still the highest offer I’ve received by $700
AlGo $37.5k
Vroom $36.8k
Carmax $36K
Carvana $33.2K

Should just accept $37.5k?

I countered their offer and they wanted the car so they didn’t flinch. Was lower than their estimate but still a good offer.

I’d say ask for what you wanted. Worst case they say no.

I got a appraisal from Algo earlier today there offer was lower than Carvana,Carmax. Vroomy came in with the highest offer so i will be unloading it to them.

Sold my BMW X1 to Algo last week. Their estimate was a few grand lower than Carvana. They called me I think and I told them about Carvana. They said they’d match the offer. I said no thanks unless you beat it so they did by a measly $300. But I’ll take $300 anyday :slight_smile:

Does Algo check car registration? Will they buy if it is not current/registered to me? This is a leased vehicle

Yes they buy leased vehicles. For mine they needed some account info and contacted the bank for their buyout.

yes they will buy if you have proof of old registration recently expired