Sold One to ALGo

Follow up: They just completed the virtual walk around. The original offer was $22,900 and now due to the scratches they put it at $21,500 before their fee which is still more then Carvana. After the fee it pretty much ties with Carvana but the fact that I have a real person to talk to as opposed to Carvana which has hours long hold times make this a win. Thanks!

2 Likes

Wow that sounds almost like a bait and switch for reducing the offer by $1400. How bad were the scratches? I know they were still more than Carvana. Unless the paint was indeed bad.

I’m going to call them soon to do the walk around. I have 3 dents in the drivers door, which was done by the same vehicle. So all 3 dents are aligned, just one lover than the other down the door. And one ding in the trunk. Like a small piece of hail hit it. No biggie. Not even close to $1400 in repairs. So we shall see.

On a side note, there’s several used cars I keep track of. Heavily modified performance wise, so on the sale sites, they are listed as a “bad deal”. They were probably $4000-$6000 above market value. Well that market value has risen on these sites over the last 3 or so weeks and were only about $1500-$2000 above market value. Still considered a bad deal, but the change was huge. So these sites were adjusting their values daily.

Well now, they are going back the other direction. $3000-$3500 above market value. And most likely rising. It very well could be a sign this run with high offers for used cars is over. Obviously this isn’t scientific ha! But I’m guessing it’s pretty close to being correct.

Was a nice run for many according to tons of car forums. There were people that were never considering selling their car until they received a recent crazy high offer. Some even sold for a profit when they purchased used.

I’m guessing never again.

Not sure if that is the appropriate terminology. I think it’s a good thing. If your car is in perfect shape you’ll get more. Carvana and others are likely discounting their offers because people are not being 100% honest about condition.

1 Like

Sure if the paint is bad, then no problem with the reduction. But $1400 is a lot to fix some scratches. Hopefully cars44 can come back with more info. It obviously still worked for them.

In my mind I was selling to carvana, but they were being a real, real pain. So, even if algo did screw me a bit, I’m still coming out the same as with carvana and the last thing I want is for them to show up for the pickup and say on the spot that they are reducing the offer.

As far as the scratches, in the passenger side there’s a really long one that almost stretches the length of the car and on the drivers side there’s a smaller but deeper one.

But the issue is time to market. The market is too volatile to hold onto these cars.

Got offer for 24k for accord. Did a virtual walk-around and offer got reduced to 22.5k. Upon asking as to why the reduced the offer as the car is almost pristine with one wheel with curb rash. Was told it was due to pandemic volatility . What a disappointing experience.

I have my walk around today. I’m expecting them to reduce. Just have a feeling. I don’t have any “dents” as I posed before. It’s a door ding but same door gave 3 dings. My neighbor couldn’t even find it yesterday because you have to be looking from an extreme angle with the dark paint. I doubt it’s going to show on camera but I’ll try.

Good thing is, Vroom just upped their offer by $700 this morning. So if this place lowballs, or changes their offer at all, off to Vroom it goes. Vroom only $200 below so I probably should go with them anyhoo. But I like the small guys first.

Well I accepted, paid my negative equity but waiting for transport to schedule a pickup. They said they would call Monday but haven’t heard from them yet. I did check in today to see when they would call and I was told today but its almost 430…guess they must be busy or the company thats picking it up is not responsive. Overall very nice people when calling.

I have my inspection tomorrow morning. My initial
quote was $15000 so we’ll see how much it changes. I really don’t mind if it’s lower than vroom or carvana after reading some recent posts on those threads as long as they handle all the calls/paperwork.

Had my inspection this morning. Very easy process so far—took probably less than 10 minutes. Got an offer 5 minutes later—they had asked me what I was looking to get during the inspection and gave them a figure relative to carvana and vroom and they met my asking—probably could get more as it appears to be negotiable but I was happy with what they offered.

They have done all the paperwork so far after uploading registration and drivers licenses. They sent a prepaid overnight shipping label to print and sign papers and they coordinate pickup. They said chase should receive final payout approx 7 days after pickup and I will receive a check for the difference. I’ll update once more once everything is closed.

What was the final offer after inspection?

I sold one to Algo, got check from pickup driver. Deposited but bank has hold on it for 10 days. Hope it clears.

Why wouldn’t it clear? It’s not like they’re a scummy used car dealer. They’re well known in New Jersey

1 Like

I agree with you, I guess my only point here is the unexpected 10 day delay to clear. Just letting people know.

Car has been picked up. Driver was really nice and I got an envelope saying thanks for letting them purchase my vehicle. Will definitely look to them in the future!

2019 Ioniq EV Limited lease. Garaged in VA.

Carvana quote: $21200
Vroom quote: $22000
ALGo quote: $22500
Hyundai Payoff: $20450

Got a quote and locked it in on 7/31. Got paperwork and a UPS overnight label on 8/1. Dropped of paperwork at the UPS store on 8/2. UPS managed to screw the pooch, documents were suppose to go to NJ and ended up in NH, then Mass. Spend 3 hours on the phone with those idiots. The only crappy part of the process was dealing with UPS. Paperwork finally got delivered on 8/10 to NJ. Car was picked up on 8/12 and I was handed a check. Next payment on the car is 8/22 but they are saying the payoff check should be in Hyundai’s hands by 8/14. Will verify. So factoring in the $500 boostup bonus and my monthly payment and insurance I drove the car for 9 month for less than $300. Pretty good deal in my book. Will get a second lease when I physically go back to the office in Spring/?

Sold one to ALGo last week.

2017 VW Jetta GLI
Carvana - 17965
ALGo - 18000
VROOM - 16500

Funny thing is, about two years ago, I got it appraised with less than 8k miles, for $14k. Now, two years later and at 22k miles, I sold it for much more.

Go the online appraisal on August 5th
August 6th virtual walkaround on Zoom and five minutes later an offer
Accepted the offer and later that day got an email to sign Power of Attorney along with shipping label
August 7th, one more document to e-sign
August 8th and 9th - weekend
August 10th - email received stating a pickup company has been assigned
August 11th - Call from the transportation company
August 12th - Car picked up and equity check delivered

They said that the loan should be paid off within 7 days after the pickup.

Was the offer significantly less/more then the original appraisal? I have an appraisal from them right now for $30,000 which is a good $5K more than Carvana. Online walkthrough scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

It was off by a few hundred dollars… according to the market adjustments. Which I don’t blame them for… since it was a manual car.