Solar Hackr -- Now 2024

Both my local roofer and the solar company proposed GAF Timberline HDZ shingles and I found this when searching to see if they are energy star compliant:

GAF Timberline HDZ shingles meet the ENERGY STAR criteria by incorporating reflective technology and granules in their design. The ENERGY STAR rating of GAF Timberline HDZ shingles ensures they reflect a major portion of sunlight and heat that falls on them

And from Timberline HDZ - America’s best selling roof shingle | GAF Specifications

It’s interesting that it says “white only.” But here is a second source that states they are energy star compliant: Do GAF shingles qualify for tax credit? - RGB Construction (rgbconstructionservices.com)

However, this link suggests only the materials for the roof is eligible for the tax credit, not the labor.

There are multiple tax credits — there’s an energy efficiency credit too, the eligibility is a reference to that. I haven’t looked too deeply into those credits but I believe they’re capped and there are some more restrictions. Certainly better than nothing, though.

2 Likes

Here is where I am at with my PV system from Tesla

Substantially cheaper than any other option-- but it does include a buyout of my SRECs. I think that works in my favor because I only plan to be in this house 8 to 10 more years.

2 Likes

Great price! The SREC’S in NJ make solar so much more worthwhile.

Just wondering does tesla force you to sell them the SREC’S upfront or is it optional?

1 Like

In CA, it won’t let me select solar panels without at least one powerwall which adds like $15k.

1 Like

It’s mandatory, I did ask. The SRECs, over the full term, are worth about $5K more than they are paying me, so clearly they are depending on this to offset the by far lowest bid on the system and install.

That interesting, no such requirement in NJ. The concept of a powerwall bothers me when I have two massive batteries already strapped to the two Tesla vehicle in the garage. Waiting for V2G.

That seems very cheap, at least comparing to my market (SoCal). Anything under 2.5ppw is excellent. Especially if you’ve got top-of-the-line panels and inverters.

1 Like

Pricing is great… just be wary of the usually infamous Tesla customer service and responsiveness. They don’t deal well with complicated installs or issues. But YMMV… :man_shrugging:

Not sure that they depend on the profit of SRECs to offset the price. In South Florida they are under $2.3 per watt without any SRECs.

Seems like they are taking advantage of local incentives. But I guess we can’t complain since they are still the cheapest.

Also is it considered as if they lowered the selling price in return for for the SRECs or 2 separate transactions? Difference could be if you can claim the 30% tax credit on the $7,484.

SRECs are nice. Just got $113 into my bank account (PA, so not super valuable).

You know any good solar companies in south florida that can get that or better?

I know a company that installs for $2.5 per watt in Florida.

Haven’t heard of anyone selling as low as Tesla, but tesla installs a string inverter which is cheaper compared to microinverters.

That price is very tempting. That said, I’ve had friends with Tesla panels and power walls. Their support is terrible. One installer went so far as to fry all of the electronics in their house when they messed something up :joy:

I requested a quote from 2 local solar companies and never even got a call back. I hear they’ve been super busy with the huge demand created by NEM 3.

The panels my current household has are still grandfathered into NEM 1. If I could somehow get more panels and stay grandfathered, they’d pay for themselves in a matter of a few years…

Bullying Tesla is what I am good at…

3 Likes

With the way the weather has been and the need for AC in my house much earlier in the year than ever before (I’m in So Cal), changing my timeline and re-evaluating adding solar. I have a few quotes, but probably not pulling the trigger until early next year. That being said, is Tesla a quality product? Are there other manufacturers that I should consider. Are micro inverters better than standard inverters? Looking to add enough capacity with a power wall or equivalent battery so I don’t have worry about the LADWP bills for heat or cooling. What is at the top of the market and maybe slightly under that which would be a good value proposition? Should I consider SunRun ?

I always get these solar folks walking around the neighborhood and decided to see what they offer…is there something specific I should be asking of them? this is what i was offered

That’s $6/kw. At lease twice what it should cost. Free government money just makes things unnecessarily expensive

So should I just look at a different company? or is this something that can be negotiated usually…assuming each company charges a different amount

Let’s see if @cyak can weigh in on this?

2 Likes

Tesla solar is cheaper than this and it includes a power wall. I think you can call and get it without the power wall for around $14k for a 5kw. I’m currently looking into projectsolar.com and their full service option. Looks like around $2.5/kw