SoCal dealerships.... (a bit of a rant)

So I’ve been on the site for a little less than a year, and, since my dad’s lease is up, I thought I’d try my hand at helping him to work a deal. I live in Los Angeles, and I remembering being totally frustrated last year (when I myself was in the market for a car) b/c I had the WORST time getting Mercedes dealerships to give me a lease worksheet (or even just returning my call) or even something as basic as the MF. BMW dealerships were slightly easier to work with (and 2 were nice enough that I would’ve been happy to get a car from them, but I decided to go an entirely different route). Toyota dealerships, interestingly enough, were totally fine giving me MF and such.

My dad only wants a Mercedes, so I contacted some dealerships near him. Again, a lack of follow up or a complete refusal to provide anything other than a monthly payment and DAS. I’ll fully admit that I didn’t contact many dealership b/c my dad is stubborn and is really loyal to one specific dealership (for reasons I don’t quite understand).

At any rate, I know that the conventional wisdom on the board is that SoCal has a disproportionate number of great deals. I’m just wondering, is that “true?” Are the great deals to be had in SoCal outside in dealerships located way outside of the major metropolitan areas?

I know, it’s a broad question And, as I said in my title, this is more of a rant than anything else. Argh.

1 Like

Internet salespeople have to hit a certain quota monthly to get bonuses. The deals are mostly ‘minis’ but the salesperson doesn’t care as long as he/she gets enough of them. The most time-consuming, difficult to sell customers are the ones who call asking for all this stuff and want it in writing. Putting a ton of work in for a mini usually isn’t a conducive use of a salesperson’s time. You should shop however you want. Dealerships individually will decide whether or not they want to entertain this type of shopper.

4 Likes

Get a broker and let him deal with the dealership and your dad.

7 Likes

There needs to be a type of broker that only deals with old, stubborn people. They won all the wars so they deserve to be stubborn!

9 Likes

There is going to be just premium for that :slight_smile:
Some people are ok paying because they want thing the way the what and ready to pay for that.
Albeit many are in the same category and aren’t ready to pay up but it’s whole different story.

Ohmigod, you have NO idea. My dad’s been stubborn since the day he was born, I think, so age ain’t got nuthin’ to do w/ it.

BTW, what a “mini?”

1 Like

I am in LA and have had no problems receiving lease sheets from Lexus, BMW and Mercedes.

The last war we won was WWII. Most of those folks, if they are still alive, would be in their 90s. I doubt too many are out buying a Mercedes.

You forgot the Cold War

A mini is a minimum deal. All the mark up was negotiated out of the car so they are getting the minimum payment for moving that unit.

1 Like

We still put in a lot of effort in Korea and Vietnam…but you’re right. If they don’t win the war they don’t get the lease sheet before coming in.

Problem solved. Please close thread.

2 Likes

Are you willing to come down to San Diego? I can recommend a volume dealer I didn’t buy from but had a good experience with. We have someone on here at MB dealer too but not finding him at the moment.

And agree with @Ursus that a broker is a good route if you want to save time.

:laughing::joy::rofl::laughing::joy::rofl::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

Two Kardashians embark on a shopping spree to spend the most money, one has $1 more in credit on their credit card. Is that winning?

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning. You almost had me? You never had me, you never had your car… etc etc granny shifting, not double clutching, blew the welds on the intake manifold, tear apart the block, you know the rest.

I would, if I didn’t think my dad was going to go out to get a car on his own, even if I told him I was already driving down to pick another one up… Sigh.

I just got a Mercedes from So Cal and I found the best way was to use a broker. I’d highly recommend @autopia

2 Likes

Technically we won the first Iraq war …

I used Costco auto program, and got a referral to Beverly Hills MB. The internet sales guy that called me (Cory) was worse than useless, and completely bungled the process. The GLC 350e I wanted to test drive wasn’t ready, as it wasn’t even on the lot. I ended up wasting more than an hour there, with an irate wife, as they ran around trying to find the keys, then the car. That being said, the sales manager took over, and got us all of the lease numbers (MF, RV, etc.). I had to ask for each number, and he tried to change the subject when I did, but I got the numbers. Their deal was pretty competitive, but the reviews for that car convinced me to wait for the next generation.

That’s too bad about Beverly Hills MB. Their internet sales person worked w/ me back in 2012 (on a financed car, not a lease) was David Kwon. Very straightforward and super knowledgable.

For the plug-in specifically or for the GLC in general? My impression is that the regular GLC is pretty highly reviewed.

I know its a lot easier in NoVa than Socal due to geography but I find I get a much better response if I have met a salesman. When I am having problems getting quotes online, my go to strategy is to test drive cars at lunch. Sometimes I test drive same car three or four days in a row at different dealerships. Now I don’t negotiate numbers in person so lunch is perfect time to visit dealers because 1. Salesman don’t mind spending time with me since there are no other ups around, 2. wife isn’t there to approve purchase and 3. I don’t have three hours to buy car, I have to get back to work.

Once I have done my test drives, I have a salesman that knows me and will usually respond to my calls since I am a flesh and blood lead. Also some stores rate employees on turning test drives into sales so he may have even more incentive not to ignore me.

2 Likes

If you are looking to understand why this is happening the way it is, please read on.

Not condoning what you mentioned.

From their perspective, giving away the information they did to someone fishing for information did not yield them any profit or even business.
You called, got BMW dealers to give you what you wanted and then “another route”.

How do you get them to take you seriously?
Know what you want and be serious ready to sign now.

Until then you are just a lead. They are just trying to handle the inquiries to identity the people who are willing and ready.

They should still treat everyone with respect but being aloof like Porsche, Ferrari and in your experience MB is just a trick to shape the experience so it isn’t about money and so they don’t waste time.

Hope this helps.

1 Like