Small claims court in Montana

Hello. REALLY random question. Does anyone (esp anyone in the legal field) know how friendly small-claims judges in Montana are to an “every person” (me) vs. a company based in Montana?

Edit: more pertinent question… If a credit-card company sides w/ me in a dispute, would that provide some sort of evidence in my favor, should the vendor decide to sue me for what the credit-card company refunded me?

Best bet: talk to a local lawyer in the small claims
court jurisdiction you will be in to get the lay of the land on that court/judge. Probably can answer both questions on a free consultation basis if you shop it around.

3 Likes

Having lived in Montana, I can tell you the small claims process was pretty straightforward. They try to mediate first which resulted in a favorable payment, in our opinion, at the time. Depends on how much the other party wants to fight or even if they show up.

2 Likes

Thanks to the both of you for the responses.

I looked at Montana state law, and Montana small claims doesn’t actually have jurisdiction over this (I don’t live in Montana).

Hopefully, it doesn’t come down to a suit. Wish me luck.

are you fighting against a small company?

I think.

But the amount being disputed is quite small, so that’s why it would be small claims.