Signed: 2021 BMW 530E Loaner $509/Mo, 0 down, 7 MSD, 62K MSRP

This dealer was really difficult to get numbers that made sense from. I’ve posted an X3 quote from them on here before and I had a lot of difficulty trying to make the numbers work in the calculator. Essentially I am getting a 36 month lease, putting a refundable $3850 in MSD, and then paying 35 months at 523.24. If I do the math of 523.24 * 35 / 36 I get a net effective monthly payment of $509. And I’m also joining some pilot program that gives between $150-400 in gift cards to folks doing electric charging. So I think for the car, I could end up paying around 497/month when all is said and done.

Year, Make, Model, and Trim: 2021 BMW 530E Loaner with premium package, upgraded wheels, and parking assist package
MSRP: $62,440
Selling Price: $51,496
Monthly Payment: $523.24 (or 509 net effective)
Drive-Off Amount: $0 (not including 3850 MSD)
Months: 36
Annual Mileage: 10,000
MF: 0.00093 AFTER MSD
Residual: 57.47
Incentives: 1750 lease credit, 750 loyalty, 500 PenFed
Region: NorCal
Leasehackr Score:

Is the deal a unicorn? No. They discounted on the MSRP but marked up the MF (if MF was at buy rate, the discount on MSRP would have been 16.14%). But we all know how difficult deals are right now and frankly I’m fighting over a thousand bucks while car inventory is dropping and I didn’t want to take that risk of paying a few thousand more in May. I’d already lost out on the Audi e-tron and I am not giving up on life and driving a Bolt.

@ZZAutoDeals had a better calculator link so I put it in.

Given that there are so few comps these days I hope this is helpful to some of you.

Added the quote below:

8 Likes

Effective ~15% discount after accounting for marked up MF which is good given current market conditions. I think you probably did the right thing by not waiting for May numbers, I don’t see any reason for incentives to get any better.

I’m assuming this is through state of CA?

1 Like

Few things:

(1) If they fully marked up the MF to 0.00133 as you have in your calculator, then 7 MSDs drops it to 0.00105, not 0.00093. Your calc even shows 0.00105 as the new MF.

(2) You didn’t get the California Clean Air Rebate (also known as CCAR)? That’s $1,166 which they usually stack with the rebates. Not sure if it can be used on a loaner, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be.

(3) Your gov’t fees cannot be $400 - that’s just the default for the calculator. I ran your selling price through the CA DMV fee calc and I got approx. $633 for reg/license fees.

I took a stab at a new calculator assuming you got the CCAR rebate and also adjusting the government fees. A lot closer to your payment this way, but something is still missing. But anyway, enjoy the car in good health!

CALC: CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR

Congrats! Share pics

1 Like

Congrats! I was also looking at the same car I’m sure you will enjoy it

I vaguely remember CCFR is now for new cars only unlike old utility rebates.

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking a stab at this. I love learning this stuff and just wish these folks used the standard methods.

1. I added the screenshot to my initial post. They claimed that they mark MF up and that MSD only reduced it to 0.00093. The screen shot shows that too. If so then the markup was lower?
  2. CCFR is only on new. I actually posted about this nonsense on here too. In 2018, my utility cut me a check on the loaner. In 2021, I was only able to apply for CCFR and only if new. The rebate got wasted.
  3. Can you show me the link for the CA DMV fee calc? Maybe we can propose the LH calculator automatically updates that even.

Okay perfect, now it all makes sense. I was able to get the calculator to line up almost perfectly to your payment (see below).

(1) It’s possible they actually marked up the money factor to 0.00123 and with your MSDs it was dropped to 0.00095 (can’t get it to 0.00093 unless the MF was marked up to 0.00121, which would be unusual because they usually mark up by 10 basis points at a time).

(2) Bummer about the CCAR - I thought it could be applied to loaners.

(3) Sure, the link to the DMV registration fee calculator for California is below. However, looking at your screenshot it looks like your registration was already active when you leased the car, so your reg fees were only $15. Fixing that in the calculator seemed to do the trick. I’m guessing your registration renewal will be on a different month than your lease inception. This happens with some loaner cars, depending on how they have punched the car when initially put into service. In your case, the lease inception date and registration renewal date are going to be misaligned.

LH CALC: CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR

DMV FEE CALC: Calculate New Vehicle Fees

1 Like

I haven’t given up on life, I’m just cheap… :laughing:

1 Like
  1. So they did a mark up of 28 bps? What a weird number to pick.
  2. It’s even more weird because if you think about it, nobody gets that rebate. Not even the dealer.
  3. Exactly. I renew in Nov.
  4. So now I have a question for your calculator. I was told I’d only pay 35 payments of 523.24 outside of the MSD. In my mind it made no sense and I was willing to do 36 so I didn’t push it. In this calculator, am I paying 35 * 523.24 as my total cost or is it really 36 payments?

Yeah it’s a very odd number. But in any case it doesn’t seem like they did a full 40 basis point markup. The payment in the calc is for 35 payments, not 36. Your first payment is always part of your basic drive offs, but since you did zero drive off (not counting the MSDs), the first payment is rolled into the remaining 35 payments and each of those is $523.xx. But you are correct that your effective payment is less because you’re not paying the first payment.

1 Like

When I got the 330e for 150 in 2018 you were one of my inspirations. You got your father in law into the car I remember. I drove that car with no CarPlay, two carseats in the back, all the free napkins/plastic cutlery my wife takes from restaurants shoved in door compartments, and Costco boxes put into every nook and cranny I could find. The Bolt was just where I drew the line lol

4 Likes

Thank you sir. I just played with the calc and if MF was buy rate, then discount off MSRP for this loaner would have been 16.14% it seems.

Yes that sounds exactly right. And 16% with buy rate on a 2021 5 Series, even a loaner, sounds pretty damn good to me in this market.

2 Likes

What pilot programs?

LoL :joy:

My sentiments on this car too, and they were “free” at one point here in NJ …

2 Likes

A Camaro would at least signal the possibility of getting one more tattoo.

3 Likes

I transferred out of my 320i after a year, probably saved me over a thousand between tires dispo and wear & tear. The Bolt wouldn’t work as my only car, but that’s why i got the Taco.

1 Like

What is a taco??

The Tacoma, the vehicle with the most ridiculous residuals ever seen, i think mine is 88% after 39mo

1 Like

thanks for sharing. great deal for the current state of the market