Signed! 2020 X7 M50i Demo MSRP $114.3k $1542/mo 36/12 DAS 3k

, ,

Calculator link attached. Got 1k in corp rebate and 1k lease credit. 7.9% off of MSRP before incentives.

Not an amazing deal by LH standards but buying a higher end SUV in the DFW area was a huge PITA. @IAC helped me to put this together.

Rant: Why dealers in states where temperatures go into the upper 90’s insist on predominantly ordering vehicles with black interior escapes me. I wanted a white exterior and a white/light interior. Good luck trying to find that. :roll_eyes:

I was first looking at an XC90 to find that the 2020 T8’s in the area were sold out, 2021s are not in yet.

Next I went to GLS 450, which Park Place Mercedes had available but they wouldn’t budge off of MSRP at all and there were no incentives beyond corp discount.

Next I went to get a quote for an X5, the quote sucked, and later I felt that the X5 was kind of small. I am 6 ft and 260 lbs and the X5 felt like it’s a better car for grocery shopping or quick errands around town.

In my disappointment I looked at a full size Range Rover which was available in the color combination I wanted but as soon as I pulled out my 5% off of MSRP corp certificate I was told by Land Rover Dallas that the vehicle was sold. Coincidence? Perhaps. Except today their manager emailed me asking me to submit an offer on the vehicle. Too late.

Before I decided that the X5 was too small I started working with @IAC on the X5 quotes. In the end I pivoted to an X7 which was available in the colors I wanted and with ventilated seats (why they don’t just order more models with ventilated seats for upper 90’s temps I do not know). Despite the difficult supply situation and the not so amazing discount @IAC did right by me and I would work with the two of them again in 36 months when it’s time to get the next vehicle.

Got the deal done in about 24 hours after deciding to do it. The folks at Sewell BWM of Grapevine were super nice, except that sales told me overage miles are $0.25 whereas finance said that for this model they are $0.30. That didn’t feel good at all, but in the end, fuck it, I am going to drive as much as I want and pay up afterwards if need be. My suggestion that each X7 M50i should come with a bottle of Dom Perignon was ignored. I guess margins are tight.

There appears to be a supply shortage across many brands when it comes to their 100k+ SUVs which directly affects the dealers willingness (or lack thereof) to give deeper discounts. Sewell currently only has a single 750i xdrive (yes, looked at that too). Four incoming X7s are sold. They do have another demo X7 but not an M50i if I remember this correctly.

Super happy with the car. Images below. First impressions are that the fans are louder than expected at all but the lowest setting. That’s IMHO a miss for a 100k+ car. Tire nose at highway speeds is a noticeable whine, bordering on turbine sound. May switch the stock run-flats for something that makes less noise. Interestingly little other sound enters the cabin. The engine/exhaust sound is only noticeable at high RPMs.

Adaptive cruise control is amazing. I had a Volvo XC60 with adaptive cruise control for 90 days and it did a bunch of jo-jo-ing. BWM’s ACC is very smooth without jo-jo effect and without abrupt breaking. I am impressed.

Cargo space with 3rd row upright is LOLsmall. I don’t plan to use the 3rd row so not an issue for me.

Air suspension is amazing, ride is very very comfortable and of course there is body roll even on “sport” setting.

Acceleration takes some finesse or perhaps the vehicle will learn. Flooring the gas pedal from stand still has a bit of the common turbo delay. Suddenly accelerating at speeds below ~60mph causes a downshift and jerk that comes with that before the ride turns smooth again. Accelerating at highway speeds is very smooth.

Cooled/heated cup holders …, is there such a thing as a useful gimmick? If so then these are it.

Fitting the car in the garage was challenging. See pics. Had to clean up to make it work. Opening the hatch for the first time with the garage door open was a major pucker moment.

Will be putting over 3k miles on it over the next month as I got a road trip coming up. Can’t wait to enjoy the vehicle beyond using it as DD. Happy with my decision to get it! :heart_eyes:

Edit: Forgot to mention that I ordered a sun shade from Covercraft UVS100 Windshield SunShade the fold up ones are amazing at keeping the heat out. Also ordered https://www.weathertech.com/ mats for front and second row, as well as a cargo mat that will fit with 3rd row folded down. Will tear out the dealer installed tint and have them put in 3M Crystalline all around, that’s not going to be cheap, it was 1k for my old Lexus RX300. There is absolutely nothing that keeps your car cool like Crystalline. Recommended.

x7-2

3 Likes

Mileage overage is $.30 penalty but $.25 if bought before lease end.

She looks great!

1 Like

Gorgeous truck. Congrats

Fully agreed, why the all black interior became so popular I will never understand.

3 Likes

As an update, it’s $1800 to add 3M Crystalline to all windows including the sunroof.

are you getting it installed through the dealer?

That seems ridiculous. I always do clear ceramic tint on my cars, and it’s expensive, sure, but I’m used to seeing prices for crystalline under $1k for an suv.

1 Like

That’s why I was asking if it was done through the dealer - seems like a ripoff

If you have kids you will understand the need for an all black interior. It almost hides the sharpies…

As for not having ventilated seats in expensive luxury cars in the south that is pure idiocracy. All the Germans are bad about not having these as standard in the upper models.

Yeah I have kids. I just give them a bottle of interior detailer and some microfiber cloths and tell them to clean up their mess on my wife’s white leather e350.

2 Likes

I am getting it done at www.jstint.com which is a 3M Premier and Crystalline Certified shop. The sunroof is $300, so the car without it is $1500 which includes stripping the current tint. Doesn’t seem outlandish. When I got my LX300 done in CA it was 1k even and that’s a smaller vehicle with less fiddling.

1 Like