Signed: 2019 BMW 440i xDrive 6-speed, $65k MSRP, $500/month inc tax, $0 DAS

I never thought I’d lease a car, and I knew virtually nothing about leasing up until a couple of months ago. However, I got tired of diagnosing / fixing / paying for repairs on old cars, so I thought I’d give a 440i a shot given the crazy incentives on them right now. Did a ton of research on Leasehackr before attempting anything, which helped a ton.

Year, Make, Model, and Trim:
2019 BMW 440i xDrive

• 6-speed manual
  • M Sport Package
  • Executive Package
  • Track Handling Package
  • Driving Assistance Package
  • Head-up Display
  • Dynamic Digital Cluster
  • Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler
  • Black Kidney Grilles
  • Heated Steering Wheel

Saved Numbers on Leasehackr Calculator:

MSRP: $64,965
Selling Price: $54,575 (16% off)
Monthly Payment: $499.94 w/ 7% NJ tax and fees rolled in
Cash Due at Signing: $0
MSD: $3,500 (7)
Incentives: $8,750 ($5,750 incentives + $2,500 loyalty + $500 OL) + $500 CCA rebate

Months: 36
Annual Mileage: 10,000
MF: 0.00195
Residual: 57%

Region: Northeast
Leasehackr Score: 12.3 years

I called/emailed a ton of dealers in the NY/NJ/PA/CT area, but only two (both in PA) were willing to do 15% off MSRP before incentives. I initially had my heart set on a Mineral Gray/red automatic car, but the 6-speed manual and Track Handling Package pushed this one to the top.

I went in asking for 15% off, but after test driving and going home, I decided to ask for 16% given the higher MSRP of this car and the fact that I was probably one of a handful people who actually wanted a manual car. Figured it was worth a shot to ask. The dealer told me that 15% was their max, and that they had people around the country starting to ask about the car (not sure how true that was), so I agreed to the 15% and headed over the next day to sign.

After waiting three hours at the dealer for BMW FS to do their thing, I finally went in the office to sign. The payment ended up being about $25 more per month than I expected, but this being my first lease, I couldn’t figure out where my numbers weren’t matching the dealer’s. I know, I should’ve figured out what exactly was going on before signing, but the finance guy didn’t want to take a look at my LH calculator, and at that point, I just wanted to get the car and go home.

It turns out that the dealer actually did give me 16% off MSRP before incentives, but they marked the MF up to 0.00195 or so (thanks, Electric). I don’t know exactly what happened there, but the payment is basically the same as if I’d gotten 15% off with the regular MF. I’ll definitely pay more attention in the future.

As expected, the car is a ton of fun. I usually get bored of cars pretty quickly, but hopefully, I’ll be able to hang onto this one. I do wish I’d been able to find one with the M Performance Power & Sound Kit (adds about 30hp via tune and a very nice exhaust, costs about $3k), but you can’t win them all.

19 Likes

That’s horseshit on the MF, they marked it up to .00200 and fed you a line on the MSD’s (these always reduce by .00005 per)

Either way, deal is decent.

2 Likes

Yeah, the final MF ended up being 0.00160, so I guess it was marked up to 0.00195. Still not entirely sure why they ended up giving me the 16% off and jacked up the MF instead, but what’s done is done.

That’s easy as it’s a great loss front end the back end aka finance can make money on the interest( MF ). Its a common thing to do as a dealer.

3 Likes

Robbing peter to pay paul basically, Look at it like dropping the acquisition fee in exchange for an MF bump which is great at certain discount levels and only on 24-30mo leases or when you plan to buy out the lease (again, only optimal when lease cash outweighs buy cash by a significant margin) and want less capitalized amount.

If traffic wasn’t so damned unpredictable in my neck of the woods i’d definitely have branched out into looking for a 6MT as well.

3 Likes

gorgeous car, enjoy

1 Like

Well done!
Congrats and enjoy!!

1 Like

just got my car yesterday
I got 13 % plus all rebates with base MF
I tried multiple dealers and most were stuck at 10 % off , and one 600 miles away did 14% so I figured transport will add to the cost and got car locally
so I think you did very well
congrats

2 Likes

Good deal regardless! You are still under the 1% threshold and you are getting a fun, rare car.

I had a 435x with a manual and they are a blast to drive. Terrific engine!

I had another BMW that was a similar type deal and they also marked the MF up. I knew beforehand though and they essentially said that if I wanted the car, that was the deal. It was still a real good deal so I took it.

1 Like

Wow nice deal, how does the driver assistance work with a manual ?

1 Like

Driving Assistance is a pretty simple package — it’s only $500, and it adds Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning, City Collision Mitigation, and Speed Limit Info. All of it works fine with the manual trans. Active Cruise Control is the only option that cannot be ordered with a manual car.

Yeah, i think it’s a little deceptive since all it adds is passive safety minders. Plus is the package to get if you want radar cruise (Not even sure how they’d make it work in a 6MT but it kinda defeats the point)

This is new or loaner ?

Most likely new , I don’t think they offer manuals as loaners

Yep, new. As @anon30710682 said, I’d be very surprised to see a manual loaner.

Auto emergency braking, an active safety feature, still works on manual cars. It’ll stop the engine, but that’s better than rear ending a car! Pressing down on the clutch pedal again restarts the engine.

2 Likes

Wowza, that sounds like a great deal to me! My jaw dropped when I saw the headline…but when I saw it was a manual, that sort of explained why they may have been willing to discount it so heavily. Anyway, so you emailed them asking for 15% right off the bat? And did you bring up MSDs or did that come up later? And WHERE is that scenic overlook where you took the pics of the car - that is FABULOUS! Good luck with the car!

I don’t think being manual helped his case. These cars are very hard to find in manual now. Manual + track pack, this car is a great find.

That’s an iffy one. Depends on how long they’ve sat on that metal.

My vote goes to high MSRP more than being manual in this case. :slight_smile: Sitting a lot on the car has a great impact too. (idk how long this car was on the lot)