Sign Lease Paperwork Before Delivery

Is the “you” the dealer or the buyer who would be in trouble with the DMV?

the dealer… …20

The dealer not the buyer.

But this again goes back to what I was saying. If they are just contracting up the car and not sending off the paperwork to the bank then you are fine in the scope of things. If they are taking your money and sending off the contract and paperwork. There are a whole bunch of issues that can and will arise. Most of the liability then falls on the dealer creating a lot of additional risk. If they are selling the car at some crazy deal what would be their incentive to go down that road?

On a side note. If you have to think about it this much as to whether it is the route you want to go or not you probably should not do it. Do whatever you are comfortable with. A car is a car and if this dealer is giving you the offer you want and you have it in writing you can use that deal to replicate the deal elsewhere.

@bagspacked What exact car are you looking at? Mind sharing what type of deal you’re getting? It’ll help others to help you to see if it’s truly a great deal or something you can get normally while leasehacking

It’s a very good deal, but I’ve been asked not to post it unfortunately. Sorry @Splattered

When I did F&I, we would paper and post date the lease agreement with a specific VIN of the benz we knew was coming from the VPC (vehicle processing center)

Well if you don’t post the details, could you post at least the car and and the % of the MSRP your monthly is?

So just so I understand, you’d paper it but post-date the start date to the date you expected to turn over the vehicle to the customer?

Correct, we would estimate the date of delivery to our dealership. This was done in rare cases and not something we made a habit of it.

On the consumer side, I don’t recommend it- too many moving variables that can go wrong for the consumer.

For the dealer or the owner?

What model car…

i think OP needs to clarify if “signing the deal” is just signing the sales sheet, which is more mental than anything else, it’s non binding. But in the alternative, if he’s comfortable with “locking in” the deal, have the dealership date the paperwork for expected delivery date, have him sign and hold the paperwork. I would most certainly not agree to start the lease clock while not in possession of the car and the dealership needs to understand that he’s not going to start paying for something he doesn’t have.
Not sure how experienced OP is but it sounds to be that they might be pulling his leg a little in order to lock him in. If he’s ok with locking in, just have them date the paperwork as already mentioned.

Hi everyone.

Sorry for going dark here for a while. I was leasing a Bolt through Marci and it was when things were getting heated - I had waited my turn in line but it seems some people were upset about not getting called on etc.

In any event, I leased the car while it was in transit (signed documents remotely, etc) and received it about a month later. I realize this means I paid an extra payment, but now have a little room on the mileage. The deal was good enough that it was worth waiting for (and burning the roughly 200 of monthly payments).

Specifically, it was a one-pay of $8602. That’s before the rebates ($700 costco, SCE, CVRP, etc).

I believe that was Marci’s original deal, which I was able to get honored even though it had expired at that point, as we had been talking but then some inventory issues got in the way. I am not sure what the current offers are but I can testify that she is legit. Car was delivered to my house directly at no charge, and everything was perfect. I was also able to pay the whole amount on a credit card!

Wonderful enjoy!..

I’m on the same boat. Signed a lease yesterday which had a start date of yesterday. I the dealer said the car would be ready in one or two days. Now they told me it’ll be 5-10 days.