Should you shop for a $1000+ car payment right now?

High inventory or highline is all i shop for haha

My first Autobiography LWB I ever sold was to an owner of a daycare center in Encino. They rake it in.

3 Likes

I drive one too! 2006 RSX Type S

3 Likes

:heart_eyes: I’ve been actively looking for a good condition 05-06 RSX-S to add to the stable for months…

How many used Honda’s can one have? :infinity:

2 Likes

It sure is worth the money! Those folks are incredible!

3rd gen TL type s

1 Like

Wasn’t this the plot of a Silicon Valley episode?

Mechanical isn’t making that but my CS buddies who all have bachelor’s from the top schools have 150+ offers as well as 200+ if they get lucky with Google or FB

Finally made it to the end of it.

Didn’t think it would blow up to 250+ posts in a day.

Even if some of us disagree with blowing up $1k on a car, the problem is those who do that aren’t ready to listen.

And to top it off they will be bailed out.

3 Likes

Now I’ve seen everything.

1 Like

Didn’t work for one of my friends so YMMV

2 Likes

if I were looking to spend $1k per month I’d be looking for an aircraft carrier. There is no car that’s worth a thousand a month right now, and if I wanted a thousand a month car, I’d be looking to pay $500.

There are plenty of people who can’t pay their rent or mortgage; there are plenty who can, they just aren’t.

On the other hand, talking about disposable income, over the past 5 weeks my discretionary spending is as close to zero as it has ever been. The only thing I have spent money on is food.

1 Like

Anyone who thinks they are financially stable right now, probably isn’t. Anyone who is financially stable is acting like they aren’t,

31% of apartment dwellers didn’t pay rent on time in April, which isn’t nearly as shocking to me as the fact that in a normal month the rate is almost 20%.

Not everyone is going into this already over-extended, and with insufficient reserves and poor liquidity.

6 Likes

And I bought one for $18k 6 months ago, yikes…

Big generalization here. There may be some older folks with conservative investments. They should be fine.

I would say that anyone who can afford an expensive car, or other things, should consider them in times like this. Why? Because it supports those industries. And those workers. I’m sure they employ a lot of folks, some not making so much.

Wouldn’t we be more the poorer if all we were left with after this was shopping at Walmart and driving Chevy’s because everyone else went out of business? Say Pagani went bankrupt etc.

Honestly, free country here. Everyone should be allowed to do what they feel comfortable with as long as it’s within the law etc.

2 Likes
  1. Is anyone saying this isn’t a free country? You can buy whatever car you want. Rather, this is a debate about what is financially prudent.

If you want to spend money so we come out of this with more than Chevy and Walmart, support local businesses and restaurants however you can (gift cards, delivery, online shopping etc…). I don’t really care that much if I drive a Pilot, Highlander or Telluride, X5 or XC90. They are all pretty similar. But I care a lot about if my local Indian, Thai or BBQ restaurant closes. And I really care if my local dog sitting/boarding place closes.

You mention Pagani but I don’t think any of the ultra high end makers will be in trouble. Their buyers aren’t struggling. They are quarentined in their compounds in St. Moritz or on a mega yacht in the Grenadines.

4 Likes

I keep hearing this a lot. I look at it the other way. It’s easy to start a Thai restaurant, There’s 100 of them in every mid sized city. Same with dog sitting businesses. If the one you like now fails, another will replace it easily. There’s virtually no barrier to entry for a business like that. You could start one tomorrow if you wanted.

But if a company that employs hundreds of thousands of people, and has thousands of other suppliers/distributors which depend on it, fails…that can’t easily or quickly be replaced. The effects of those companies going under will be felt for a long time and impact things a lot more than your local eatery failing.

I don’t know if that number is accurate. We are not seeing the same numbers at work, it was closer to 10-15%.

A MB 500SEL in 1985 cost 51,000 new, or roughly 122k today. A 7 series was a bargain at 37k, or 88k today, and both had a mere fraction of all the nannies today’s cars have.

nm…@max_g already covered that.

3 Likes