Should you shop for a $1000+ car payment right now?

Yes, it will be different. Microsoft paying $65/hour for an internship (a junior) last year just hoping they will join when they graduate. Granted it was a top CS school like Cal.

1 Like

which 49er? I used to live in blackhawk in the 90s, not too far from john madden, larry allen, watters, mullin, etc etc. Still a bay area fan, sharks and 49ers very disappointing this decade compared to warriors and giants.

I rather not say, he was a bit of a jerk, I lived in Santa Clara where there were a few of them. The nicest one was Vernon Wells, he signed every ball when there was a school event, took every picture with all the kids and stuck around. Even the third string guy left after like 10 minutes.

I’m not sure I understand.

Are you saying that If one adds like 120k of other income, an entry level E1 can make 200k?
:bat:

2 Likes

gotcha, send me a pm. Im curious now haha, but yeah the old school guys are really nice, mays was great, rice didn’t mind, and countless others, but some of the new guys are a piece of work. A lot of the new 49ers remind me of the classic guys, met kittle a few days before the nfc cg and he was probably the nicest guy you will ever meet, very non chalant and casually picking up food, took a few minutes to chat.

I know plenty of MEs making over $200k

None of them are fresh out of school with a BS degree though.

5 Likes

:man_shrugging: I negotiated their offer the way we all negotiate leases. Also EEs were in high demand before this all and could score $160k starting total comp at the top of their game which is very close to my total comp, not including dividends I’m getting. Also about the comment of seeing people struggle to get $60-70k/yr, I see it too but those people I see are not in the top 1% of students or in Tau Beta Pi or even Pi Tau Sigma.

7 Likes

In expensive cities, an Au Pair is the equivalent to lease hacking a XC90, it’s not cheap but it’s a pretty good deal relative to a lot of other child care options. More flexibility for around the same cost. If you have 3 kids, it like a unicorn deal because the costs are the same as for 1 kid. We have one for 1 kid, so it’s about break even with day care.

2 Likes

Well, they’re engineering honors societies, not frats… granted no one in industry other than the HR recruiter cares about them.

6 Likes

Tell me that that isn’t what 90% of people think when one tosses Greek letters out there. And HR people only pretend to care.

Geez maybe I should put Mensa on my CV.

:bat:

3 Likes

And that’s why we have people at food banks driving luxury cars.

I found these software engineering jobs on a Boston-based recruiter’s site. As you can see, none of these $100k-$150k jobs are entry-level. You can “easily” make $200k as long as you have the experience and skills an employer is looking for.

Boston is a HCOL city. Doctors working at MGH or other prestigious hospitals can’t afford to live in Million Dollar brownstones in the Back Bay (downtown Boston). They might have a condo in the South End or live in the 'burbs in Brookline or Newton (All pretty pricey areas).

If the recent grad is really getting a $200k base salary and has no debts, then good for him/her.

1 Like

I guess I should have been more specific- Bay Area or Seattle.

Is that representative of Boston comp for senior level roles? Seems lower than I would have expected, but I don’t know the market there.

Haha. I don’t think that’s total comp. Again, that’s just one recruiter listing their available jobs. $200k is low in your opinion for a Senior DevOps role?

I guess more that it seems centered around $150k for senior roles, which is relatively comparable to Salt Lake City, which is a market I have a lot of firsthand knowledge of, and which is a lower COL area.

Here’s starting comps for google. Average around $180,000 including RSUs. Note the “Very High” confidence, and experience at “0-1” years. I know senior software People making this much, but that doesn’t mean the best entry level hires aren’t making this much too.

I’m on the verge of signing one right now- I run a business with my family and we are making 7 figures after taxes per year and have been doing so for quite a while, so we are certainly financially secure. My previous leases are close to expiring so I’m looking for another one to sign. We like luxury cars, but we stay around the $100k MSRP price point because we feel like we get enough car for what we want. As for trying to save a 30 or 40 bucks a month on a lease, it’s a fun game to play and why not save a little wherever you can. I still go for joy rides with my buddies pretty often these days, we just stay in our own cars though, still a load of fun

2 Likes

If I was making 7 figures a year I would have an m5 + an exotic on the side like a 570,huracan, etc etc. $1500 all in for the m5 + circa 3k all in for an exotic. Assuming you don’t have a $20-30k mortgage you should be fine. Also assuming one would be a car enthuasist.

If the 720s would have leased well I would have taken a shot at hacking one for my dad versus him buying one, instead when they first came out I got offers of $5-6k + 25k das for 48 month/5k terms. :expressionless:

1 Like

Did you read the bottom part or search through for greater experience levels?

Average total pay for mechanicals at Google, after bonuses is listed at $131k. Note that for the 1-3 year, it’s even less.

Neither of those numbers are anywhere near $200k.

Also, $120k in Palo Alto doesn’t exactly give you much to live on if you don’t want to live at home or with 5 roommates.

2 Likes