Shortages Affecting Auto Production: Semiconductor, foam, etc

Toyota aims to make up some lost production as supplies rebound

1 Like

Ford must be getting some of their act together. I ordered a 2022 F-150 Platinum three weeks ago and recently received the pre-build email. The estimated build time is the first week of November, which is exactly what the dealer expected at the time of the order.

On the other hand, I ordered a 2021 Platinum Expedition Max the first week of March that never showed up…

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chip-shortage-not-great-for-chip-makers-either-11634036581?st=ia1bk7apa1kbyrw&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

1 Like

The lines are struggling with sourcing anything and meanwhile over at Hyundai R&D, the engineers seem to be getting feisty… :joy:

2 Likes

Wonder what happens when the airbag goes off

like right in the post right there, don’t even have to click into the article.

Big top-line / tiny bottom-line energy. The hottest thing since dad bod, all the cool corporations are trying it.

Lost the source (easy to find I’d think) but was reported China broke into their ‘strategic’ coal supply, which buys them a single day of full production, while simultaneously quietly removing their import embargo on Aussie coal. Not a good sign.

1 Like

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ford-suspend-production-friday-mexico-plant-material-shortage-2021-10-14/

2 Likes

Will somebody post some GOOD news? Please?
I want to hear that things will get back to normal.

1 Like

Good news:
You’ll have plenty of time to save your shekels until things get back to normal.

Bad news:
No one knows when that is.

4 Likes

Even worse - your sheckels might not be good at the time the things get back to normal.

2 Likes

It is good news if you’re selling a vehicle…

2 Likes

What you buy to replace will be equally overpriced so really it’s all the same.

In some rare cases people are better off trading in their used today so long as they’re not paying a markup on list.

2 Likes

Yes but it seems that used car prices have risen much more than new car prices unless we’re talking about some rare vehicles/trims. You can still get 5-8% off many vehicles which means you’re paying $1,000-2,000 more than before but your trade is worth $5-10k more in many cases. Obviously there’s some vehicles that you have a hard time finding at below sticker but if you’re flexible you can still come out ahead.

There aren’t that many doing discounts and the incentives have been dialed way back on a lot of new vehicles.

1 Like

Thats why a lot of us got jeep 4xe!

Curious, what vehicles can you get for 5%-8% off? I haven’t been shopping cars lately, with all the shortages, I am surprised that any model is selling with that much discount right now.

Mirai’s? Lol

Hmmm just look at the broker ads on here. There’s plenty of vehicles at 5%+ off. We’re talking Jeep, Volvo, Infiniti etc…