Shortages Affecting Auto Production: Semiconductor, foam, etc

I get your point for states that dont regulate this (some do). Many buyers will agree pay above and many will not. Also, several like me will hold it against the dealership which might not hurt them today, although can when market settles. I personally would never pay above MSRP for a new car. I am not in the business although have bought plenty of cars in my lifetime ranging from low end to ~$200k exotics and while I have paid MSRP, have never even entertained paying above.

I disagree that all dealers practice this, even in todays market. Again, I am no expert although have come across dealers in the past (where I have known management or ownership personally) and they have clearly stated that they don’t allow their dealers to do so. If it changed today, I am not sure although would hope not.

Oh wow… a for-profit business is taking advantage of the shortage situation to make a profit. I cant believe it.

They’re getting in fewer cars than usual so they have to charge more than they typically do since they aren’t selling nearly as many cars as before. It’s basic common sense and its not illegal… You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Not every dealership is doing this and you can’t tell someone how to do business… If you don’t like it then don’t conduct business with them and call it a day.

3 Likes

A - I know what I am talking about, no need to be condescending
B- Yes, it is actually against consumer protection laws in some states
C- My point was more about the morality and practice of doing so than the legality
D- I know exactly why it is happening, wasn’t part of my Q
E- I know exactly what my options are :yawning_face:

Which states have a law against selling above msrp for cars?

1 Like

If they can do it and get away with it, why do you care so much? Obviously, people are willing to pay it if they’re selling the cars without a problem. Find another dealership and move on.

1 Like

I believe Connecticut, California and maybe others have some consumer protection laws limiting charging over MSRP. Maybe others, haven’t researched it in detail as my point was more on the practice of doing so in some market conditions compared to the legality.

Calm down tough guy - its a conversation, you dont like it - move on!

Average market on G63 in California, for example, is 35-50k Over MSRP so there’s definitely no law limiting anything.
You’re on a forum dedicated to teaching people how to get the most discount on a car (least profit for the dealership) and arguing the morality of the dealer trying to make the most profit they can on someone else? If you’re such a virtuous guy you’re paying MSRP for every car regardless of what the market value is, right?

5 Likes

A- Just because people are doing it, doesn’t mean there are no laws
B- Its not immoral to get a discount on a car
C- I have paid MSRP on cars in the past, though will attempt to get as much of a discount as possible
D- Thanks for letting me know, will make sure to never to visit your dealership

A- EVERY Mercedes-Benz dealership in the country is doing it, so are you telling me that every Mercedes-Benz dealership in the country is breaking the law?
B- It’s not immoral to make the most profit on a car, just like it’s not immoral to want the biggest discount on a car
C- And the dealership will attempt to make the most they can out of a car
D- I don’t service your area anyway

Your argument was invalid as soon as you brought morals into it

What is price gouging?
Price gouging refers to sellers trying to take unfair advantage of consumers during an emergency or disaster by greatly increasing prices for essential consumer goods and services.

As overzealous Always-On-Fire-Fornia laws are, this isn’t price gouging lol. PA car dealers had to fight to reopen last summer as they were ‘non-essential’.

A- No, read my past posts and you will see that I was referring to state laws. Also, read my past posts and you will see that the legality was a minor part of my post.
B- Consumer protections - a dealer isnt the consumer
C- I never doubted that, but not all dealers will when its over MSRP
D- Good

So what’s the point of your post exactly?

Sure it can be argued that it is - borderline at the least - we are in a recovery from a deep recession which caused the current environment, that can easily be argued as taking advantage of consumers in this environment!

I am not doubting that car dealers had a hard time during the pandemic - no doubt - but there is a difference in charging MSRP and limiting discounts - to charging above MSRP!

Slow mode: 10 mins between replies

1 Like

Here in MA, liquor stores were considered essential businesses. Go figure. Lol.

Sorry for the distraction. Now back to the topic at hand.

They are, remember unfortunately some people do have addictions to alcohol, I know many of my peers do to nicotine. There are also some food or grocery deserts, where convenience and liquor stores can be the only accessible source of food and some sort of produce.

https://onlinemasters.ohio.edu/food-deserts-definition/

1 Like

I know of one dealer group where this was their policy and they are selling cars for over MSRP right now.

I also know of another dealer that can easily charge easily over MSRP and still be below market for a speciality model but is not.

This is just another post where someone is upset that the market is not in their favor. There is no difference between discounts, MSRP, and ADMs. It is what people are willing to pay, which is why there was $20k in trunk money on i8s a year ago and $20k+ ADMs on G Wagons.

2 Likes

The point is that I would never pay over MSRP for a new car - would never buy from a dealer who charges over MSRP for a new car - would never recommend anyone else to do so… I assume many intelligent consumers agree!

Dealers would love to sell MSRP, but it won’t won’t happen forever. They want you should think that will happen forever.

I still remember masks were selling for $1 a piece… Now it costs maybe 2 cents

2 Likes