Shady Lending Practices. VW financial

If you purchase the lease and then resell to a 3rd party dealer, you have to pay the taxes. There are minimal exceptions to this (CA, for example, will waive the taxes if you transfer within 10 days).

At the end of a lease you need to have your car inspected. That is done for free by the Bank (Usually) and it costs them $$$. That Disposition fee is usually assumed to be paying for this.
Hence this ‘fee’ is not a profit center but more like a Regulated ‘Show the lessee why you need to charge this amount.’

I was not specifically referring to disposition fee, I am sure there are operational costs of completing the process. My point was that fees are used to alter consumer’s perception of value, just like promotions, discounts, rebates and any other conditional line items purely designed to improve bottom line. Not saying there is anything wrong with that as long as they are disclosed properly but this is the game nowadays.

Wrong…I leased a Ford Edge a couple years ago…no disposition fee!

The disposition fee exists for two reasons:

1. Profit, plain and simple.

2. Encourage re-lease same brand at end of term…every company I know of will waive the disposition fee if you lease another car from them.

I won’t say wrong, just because you found one that doesn’t charge a Dispo fee?

Ah essence of the internet, it didn’t happen to me so it shouldn’t exist.

1 Like

Just because it wasn’t itemized doesn’t mean it wasn’t paid for. It just was included in the overall cost. The inspection process and such still costs the bank money.

Goes with why XXX allowed me to sell to Carvana and why YYY doesn’t!
It’s Wrong of YYY. Not really XXX’s fault for allowing it to happen.

1 Like

Where did I say it shouldn’t exist?

I just said not all companies charge a disposition fee…in fact, years ago none did!

Just like hotel resort fees, restaurant “health surcharges” and airline baggage fees, these are all ways of generating additional income without raising prices, or showing the true (end) cost.

1 Like

Whoever said Ford didn’t pay for it or it costs money?

Designing, manufacturing, marketing, and selling a car all costs money…I don’t expect a breakdown for each individual line item.

So we agree that the amount was included in your lease. That means that no matter how you disposed of your lease, you got to pay for their inspection costs, etc, even if they never happened.

Seems like as a customer, it’s desirable to have it itemized with the exemptions of it not being charged when not applicable instead of having it automatically paid for.

I have no idea if it was included or not. I’m not really interested in Ford’s bookkeeping and how they decide to allocate costs. Ford pays to inspect the car, that much we know. Maybe it’s included in the lease inception fee…who knows? Who cares?

The only time I want to see a breakdown of my costs is if I have the option of declining or accepting it.

As much as I understand this being unfair, it blows my mind the amount of people who act like their leased vehicle is theirs to do as they please with, with no restrictions.

If you wanted to be able to sell it after a few years with no stipulations, you should have bought it.

8 Likes

I’m sorta curious now, was it this site where it was discovered that you could SELL your leased product or was it like on redditt or something?

I don’t even know if I’d call it “unfair.” Not transparent, sure. But agree w/ your overall point. :slight_smile:

2 Likes