Service center burned down...with my lease in it

I’m not a conspiracy guy- but you may want to check the burnt vehicle VIN numbers. Service place could make money re-selling cars.

1 Like

Thats how all of these start. :wink:

7 Likes

Not much in the news

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/driver-bulldozes-suv-through-hydrant-into-bmw-dealership-closing-wilshire/ar-AAPZ54c

DUI + LR4 + dealership, but no fire

They will file an insurance claim and include your car in it. You’ll have to ask them how long they’ll provide a loaner (is it the same store you ordered a car from?).

Sorry for the aggravation - that store handled it terribly if you had to call and find out that way :man_facepalming:t2:

6 Likes

I’m guessing this is it

5 Likes

Reason 3,941 why one should despise going into a service center or body shop. :fire: :fire:

1 Like

I’m surprised that no one has responded with the admonition to never put money down on a lease, because you’re out that money when the dealership burns down while your car is in for service.

21 Likes

Look, I don’t advocate for downpayment; but even I didn’t see this one coming.

3 Likes

Psssh, no one wants to rekindle that flame…

:rofl: :zipper_mouth_face:

6 Likes

Well… this particular vehicle was due to be returned next month, so @tismeddo would have realized, depending on the lease term, about 23/24 (96%) or 35/36 (97%) of the rent charge savings from a CCR made at lease signing.

4 Likes

:point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2:

Good advice, thanks for reminding everyone.

8 Likes

I agree about being suspicious about the Car Service Center burning down ( which probably did happen) but I would still try to track the vin # , just o make sure that the dealer did not did not try to sell the car deviously. Under today’s car market conditions, the dealer and the bank will try to foil an “end of lease-buy -out” ( by the lessee)-base upon the price -as stated in the lease agreement. They can sell it for more , so why sell it to the lessee at a lower price- (as agreed upon 3 years ago) ?

The first clue which makes me think you are right was it was a nearly new, low mileage vehicle with a check engine light on (must be a VW).
Next of course was the fire.

As a previous leasee of a 2018 VW Tiguan, a CEL is a right of passage for all VW drivers.

5 Likes

Suggesting they committed all kinds of fraud to make a few k on some used vehicles at the same time of burning down their service center and had vw financial in cahoots to release the titles is a huge claim. That’s unreasonable paranoia.

15 Likes

On the Q level.

8 Likes

I don’t see how, any reference link I can educate myself on or a quick response? Thanks.

You do not recover a down payment on a total loss for a leased vehicle. Let GAP cover the difference between the vehicle value and the remaining balance on the vehicle.

1 Like

You can’t put anything past those NJ (VW) used car dealerships…

Used Cars 80S GIF

Well if you did…then you should have started writing a book

season 7 hbo GIF by Game of Thrones

Did you file for the $2,500 laptop you had in the backseat??

4 Likes

So finally update:

Thankfully things are sort of working out. Car was appraised well over payoff amount, now just waiting to hear back from VW Credit (who already got cut their check by my insurance) to see if they’ll be cutting the difference back to me (going to review lease terms, per my claims adjuster some contracts state they get to keep it). Now my insurance will be dealing with the dealerships insurance.

I had probably $1500-2000 worth of stuff inside the car (suit pending dry clean, some nice sunglasses) but seems that stuff is just gone. Claim adjuster said technically can try to put claim with renter’s/homeowner’s insurance but I decided just gonna try to get the nice difference of what the car was worth since they priced it well what I was going to sell it for.

Edit: yes thankfully I’m super against down payments, this bad boy was $0 down

Edit 2: spoke to VW Credit. They’re keeping the money -_-

3 Likes