Sold to CarBuyerUSA

Haven’t scheduled it yet because of a title snafu. But should be able to schedule it as soon as I get the title.

So you were able to get the process started even though you don’t have title?

I got a quote and the lowdown of how the process will shake out. They told me once I have title in hand I can move forward with scheduling an inspection.

Have my inspection with CarBuyerUSA scheduled for this afternoon. Should get the “final” offer either later today or tomorrow. Let’s see if they bait and switch me. If they do, it’s off to CarMax!

1 Like

I’m a little further ahead of you in the process. Their “up to” number was $27,572. I got the car washed pretty good and after yesterday’s inspection they noted two front tires are 2 mm below the minimum threshold, some scratches (they’d have to be very very minor) and no sunroof. I never put sunroof but as you know their options are a little lacking on the website so they “have to account for certain options you can’t choose.” Thats obviously their wiggle room. They just called and we are at 26,300 which I’m still good with considering the payoff is 20,000. Supposedly will be contacted later today with PoA forms.

1 Like

My 2020 off road Tacoma came back on their website at 42,500 after seeing it they were willing to go to 41,500. 18k miles on it, original sticker is 40k. I am on the fence at the moment as not sure what I could replace it with yet.

Guys. They are investing money in these inspections with bait and switch and people are falling for it. Its amazing. Clueless people are what caused all these scams in this world!

Same scenario with me.

I mean if they do slash my offer, I simply go “ok, way to waste money on an inspection” and just flip my car to CarMax then. No biggie.

1 Like

What is the mileage limit they allow for miles driven after inspection where their offer is still valid?

Embarrassingly I do not know. My wife put 40 miles on it between the inspection and then signing off and they said don’t drive it after that :man_shrugging:t2: I know other places give you a clear number and sometimes it’s a lot

I just got $34k from a local AutoNation dealer. If Carbuyer doesn’t get back to me today, I may just go with AutoNation to get it over with.

Got an email yesterday from Carbuyer (seemed like an automated one) saying my inspection was “complete”. I’m giving them till COB today to get my a final offer. I’m gonna give them the benefit of the doubt that whoever was working the offer for my Blazer was off during the weekend.

On a side note, I checked out inventories of local Chevy dealers, and it seems most are now marking up at least some over their inventory over MSRP. A couple of weeks ago, only 1 dealership was doing that…now it seems all of them are to some extent.

So surprise! (but not really) CarBuyer got back to me and said that their initial quote included a sunroof which the “algorithms” couldn’t adjust out (and I definitely did not input a sunroof) and their “corrected” offer is now $34.5k instead of the initial $35.6k. Despite the bait and switch, Carbuyer is still the best offer on the table by $500.
I’m tempted to tell them to pound sand for the bait and switch tactic, but $500 is $500. They told me they have to cut me a check/wire transfer and pay off my loan before they can pick my Blazer up according to Georgia law.

I’m now wondering whether it’s worth the effort to try and get the local dealer to match CarBuyer’s offer and tell them to indeed pound sand.

1 Like

Yup its now documented that this is their biz model. Me personally wouldn’t sell to them. Auto nation seems a lot easier as they probably will let u drop off and get check that day.

Autonation dealer said I can be in and out in less than an hour. Seeing if they will give me another $500…the used car manager sounded pretty eager to get a deal done the other day.

For anyone attempting to sell to CarBuyer, make sure your car has a sunroof if you want a chance at what they quote initially. :joy:

2 Likes

The only way carbuyerusa will even get noticed is this saturated market of the used car buyers is to give the highest price

1 Like

Yeah and then talk down the highest priced offered lol

I’ll write a longer summary later but Car Buyer completed the deal today and I received the wire. They were about tied for highest with Vroom who couldn’t have bought my lease anyway. Yes, I got baited/switched on the sunroof but still netted over $6K on a Jeep Cherokee and the process was actually pretty smooth. My closest Autonation is like 4 hours away.

3 Likes

So just to finish up:
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Payoff $20,000

Vroom $27,980 (won’t buy a lease)
Car Buyer USA “UP TO” $27,572
Carvana $24,188
Carmax $26,800 (nearest about 2 hours away)
Driveway $24,704
ALGO $25,000 (bumped up after telling him Vroom’s offer)
Autonation $24,500

From initial offer on 10/8 to money in my account was 10 days. This included 2 weekends, one being Columbus Day. The agent I mostly dealt with, Nailah, was very attentive and kept things moving via text. Like every 3rd party buyout story, I had a couple of issues getting the right payoff amount (lost 2 days on this) and getting the right letter faxed to Car Buyer from my bank (lost 2 days on this). Usual 3 way conference fixed this problem. Inspection was scheduled for 2 days later. The inspector was impressed with the shape of the car which had one area of minor scratches and that was literally it. Once Car Buyer reached back out the following day, they noted the scratches, the wear on the front tires and the lack of a sunroof (what?). Of course their website does not give as many of the detailed spec choices as Vroom so you will be at their mercy to “fix the algorithm.” The offer dropped down to $26,300 but this was still in the ballpark and was the best offer I had based on not leaving my house and not buying out a lease just to sell it.
The rest of the process was extremely smooth. I signed off on the odometer reading and a couple of other things. What I did not ever gather was how many miles they’ll let you drive between the offer and the signing off of the odometer. I believe Carvana shines in this respect. I did add about 40 miles and they were OK with it. 2 days later they had the transport company set up and their notary contacted me to set up a zoom conference to sign power of attorney stuff (another weekend in the way of the progress). Car was picked up today and the money was wired into my account and available. You can see there’s a little room for improvement but the obvious Pro’s of selling a car under lease and an almost immediate wire transfer make it a company to consider. Good luck!

2 Likes