Seeking a 2020 VW Golf GTI

Hey Leasehackrs!

Long time lurker first-time poster. I live in New York City (Ridgewood, specifically) and would love to lease a new 2020 VW Golf GTI.

I scrolled through posts here and found some amazing recent deals on Tiguans and was looking for best advice for next steps for a similar amazing deal on a GTI.

I basically only want to lease this car if I can get a deal worth bragging about on Leasehackr!

Looking to spend $1000ish upfront (or less!) and spend around $250/month for a 2-year or longer lease. Is this feasible? Reality check me!

Pardon me ignorance as I’ve never bought a car before, I live in NYC and it’s not needed but nowadays we’re bored and want to have options!

Similarly situated, I would start here.

Search function works well here: https://forum.leasehackr.com/search?q=gti%20in%3Atitle%20order%3Alatest

I haven’t seen any GTI posts in months, but your target sounds completely unrealistic based on what has been posted in the past. And obviously, Tiguan =/ GTI. By the way, that’s not how this forum works - you will need to do your own research and legwork.

May be far cheaper for you to use a car sharing/rental program for occasional driving.

3 Likes

Pardon my ignorance. I have the cash and can spend more both up front and monthly, I just want to ensure I’m getting an Ok deal.

I called my local dealer today and they quoted me $3,499 and $319/month for the GTI. I feel like I see much better deals on here, for much nicer cars! I will spend more time on the site before I buy, I am in no rush, just want to end up with a car I love!

Deals on other cars have no relevance to how a GTI will lease. You need to read and understand how leasing numbers work and then see what is possible for a GTI. There’s a reason why pretty much no one on here has leased a GTI.

5 Likes

This thread should be closed and his “wanted” request moved here;

PS, as a long time lurker, you should realize this site is not intended to find people deals. You need to work for a deal, and we will help evaluate and guide you on how to make better.

3 Likes

Honestly if you’re set on a GTI you’re probably better off financing it. Probably some pretty great deals especially on leftover 2019’s. You have to compare rent charge versus finance charges, differences in rebates, etc.

3 Likes

MY19 VWs also have a 6yr/72K mile warranty, unlike MY20, in case OP decides to purchase/finance the car.

2 Likes

I had A Plan and buy rate and was paying $100/mo more than I pay for my XC60.

The 2019s also have the better warranty. If OP is dead set on a GTI I’d finance a 2019 through my own bank or credit union and be done.

1 Like

VW 0% APR for up to 72 months (not truly zero since a 1k cash rebate is subtracted) but probably still beats outside financing

4 Likes

Yup. These things hold their value decently well for a VW, at least until they get near 100k. Plus with the new MKwhatever coming dealers are probably itching to dump remaining new inventory.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies - I am not against financing a 2019, I will have to look into that.

1 Like

TL;DR terrible lease programs

You do, and that’s why everyone is recommending you consider financing, if you want a GTI.

You can also check VW Vortex to see what people are paying. It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at the forum, but what you were quoted seem about “right” from what I remember, actually.

MkVIII pushed back to MY2022.

thank you paranoidgarliclover I will check out the VW Vortex

This isn’t black magic. There are 1,000 auto finance calculators online.

3 Likes