Sedan sales are tanking - expect more discounting soon

Latest business reports show sedan sales tanking as more buyers want SUVs and trucks. I expect this means we will see some heavy discounting as we move into the summer sales season with manufacturers wanting to clear the stagnating 2017 models from the lots. Of course, it will be tougher if you are looking for an SUV…

1 Like

i can verify that crossovers have DOMINATED the market. its sad =(

Thanks for the heads up. Great insight I may be looking for a sedan so good to know.

Im waiting for that 699 quattroporte deal

1 Like

Let’s go G30 discounts!!!

Come on Volvo S90 with crystals give aways

1 Like

I doubt that we’ll see great lease programs to go along with discounted prices for sedans. There are millions of sedans coming off lease this year that nobody wants to buy, and it’s only going to get worse. Lowered residual values will make it hard to get a good lease deal for the next few years, unless gas prices start rising again.

+1. Expect to see lots of rebates good for purchases/financing, but not leasing.

Nobody is going to buy these luxury sedans

1 Like

I was quoted $125/mo for a Camry SE yesterday. I don’t have the breakdown with me but its basically:
25164 msrp
21% off msrp
1500 lease cash
36mo/12k
.00001 MF
55% residual
$1300-1500 drive off - Acquisition, first month, doc, dmv.

2 Likes

That sounds like a great deal. With such a low MF, I’d just roll everything into the monthly and do a $0 drive-off deal.

Great discount. I’d roll it all in like @Jon suggests and get it.

After just leasing a Nissan Rogue for my mom this week, I can see why the masses prefer crossovers. Every morning I drop my kids off at preschool, and 90% of cars in parking lot is mid-size crossover. They are very practical for those who are horrified by minivans (myself included) and can no longer afford the full size SUV. I remember when you could get a decently equipped Tahoe for $40k. I don’t know how many middle class families that can afford a $60k full size SUV these days.

My biggest fear is this huge surplus of near luxury sedans coming off lease. Infiniti is the biggest culprit of inflated residuals and cheap leases. Let’s hope it doesn’t affect the lease market too much.

Chevy Tahoe starts at 50k

And I remember when you could get a 20 oz. Coke for a dollar. It’s just inflation.

I miss 12oz cans for 50cents

True, but I said decently equipped Tahoe. Adding 4WD and leather makes it $60k.

New car prices are climbing higher than the rate of inflation. Plus we have much more consumer goods to pay for these days (internet, cell phones, etc). Now get off my lawn! I’m going to take my afternoon nap.

I go in to discuss tomorrow. I’d sent a couple emails out to 3 or 4 local dealers. This one was super aggressive, others just wanted to talk payment only no real numbers. Hoping for no surprises.

Great deal on the Camry. Admittedly I know nothing about the options but I have to assume that is pretty stripped and won’t have all the features that I want on my $40-45k BMW/MBZ. The residual seems pretty low compared to BMW and Mercedes sedans as the Camry tends to hold its value better than most. Maybe that’s why they offer 21% off so they get a more realistic residual.

That would be suh-weet. My cheap azz would at least go check that out.