S90 R Design - Polestar Question

Hi all - Sorry for a question that relates specifically to a car that two great Hackrs are offering. Unfortunately with shipping and dealing out of state, I’m not quite at the all-in price I’m hoping for. If local, both of those deals are no-brainers.

So a quick question for someone trying to do it on my own. I read the Leasing 101 and being prepared with the ask for a dealer and e-mailing it ahead of time. I’m trying to figure out what’s the right deal to ask for. Not sure I can recreate @Bostoncarconcierge or @aronchi 's deals, but looking at their numbers, it seems like to get to the price its:

• 16-20% off of MSRP for initial selling price (the T8 hybrid has more, because it’s an EV with incentives I beleive, but the RV is lower, right?)
  • Add Loyalty after MSRP discount
  • Base MF: .00061
  • There is an additional lease bonus of $1,000. Is that after the MSRP discount or should be considered part of that initial discount?

Sorry, I know this is what you guys get paid to do, so if it’s out of bounds, no worries. Thanks for all the help!

I can ship you a t8.

It’s a plug in hybrid with different residual and MF.

You want to break out pre-incentive discount, then deduct all discounts you are eligible for from that.

1 Like

Thanks Aronchi! Shipping estimates were another $1,100 from a couple companies I looked at. Over 24 months that adds another $46/month, so the price was a little more than I wanted to pay. There is a similar one here locally that I was going to take a swing at - not nearly as nice as the one you’re showing though. $62K MSRP, so not sure how much room I have to work with.

The RV for the T6 R Des is 4% higher than the T8

The MF for the T6 R Design is .00061 v .00094 for the T8

Lease cash (in our region) is identical at $4200

The T8 has the addtl $5419 rebate for EV

Ah - The Lease Cash is the big difference it seems here locally. Edmunds says Minnesota lease cash is only $1,000, so probably really hard to get a local dealer to the same deal. Thanks Mike! Wanted to avoid texting you since I’ve already taken up so much of your time. This is clearly an example of wanting my cake and eating it too - Want that R-design special, but want it here in MN without the shipping costs :slight_smile:

There are three of these within 200 miles of me, so I was going to send an e-mail with my desired price (% off of MSRP, MF, MSD, and Drive Offs) to see if anyone can do it. Doesn’t seem promising with that delta in lease cash.

Ive been there as well.

Short story…if you need a car soon, just eat the shipping cost for the car you want. If you have alot of time, you can roll the dice and try to duplicate locally but certain markets are just hard. FL is one I know too well :-(. I dont recall see too many cars coming out of MN…Theres probably a reason why so many of the sweetheart brokered deals are coming out of the NE.

1 Like

It can be more difficult to replicate deals on cars that are not as mass produced. If it was a S60 T5, I wouldn’t think you would have a problem. A T8 S90 R-design with Polestar, will take some more effort.

I am sure there is some room on the T8s, but make sure you know all of the lease cash and qualification-based incentives available for these (can be found on Volvo’s lease payment calculator). Build the deal with the discount from the brokers on LH and make the offer.

1 Like

True. We got an ok deal on my wife’s XC90 at a local dealer before I found this site, but had to deal with all the traditional dealer gimmicks. “Can’t do this.” “Oops, I sent you a wrong number, this number only worked with $3,000 down and my text said first payment and taxes/regs, but my manager said we can honor it. Only on this specific vehicle, put the $500 down to reserve it and you can always cancel.” And then the pressure for the add-ons.

I’m fine dealing with the back and forth, especially with all the info I’ve gathered from this site. But in the end, most won’t get close.

Covid has impacted my wife’s family businesses pretty significantly, so the wife is pushing for less cash out the door now, which impacts paying for shipping. We’ll figure something out, but had my eye on those S90s posted.

So true. I have, so far, found it is always cheaper to just pay one of these hard-working brokers for a deal they have already worked out vs trying to “hack” your own. If anything it is worth it just for the time and frustration saved. I’m not saying my time is super-valuable or anything, especially since I’m on a computer ~8 hours a day, but holy hell is it just not worth my time and energy to go back and forth with a dealer who clearly isn’t getting to where you want to be.

2 Likes

Thank goodness my time is worthless! Ive sometimes spent uncountable hours chasing a deal down and the broker approach is soooo much easier. The average (sane) person who is not willing to put 20-30-40 hours in chasing a deal is probably better served letting someone else do the legwork IMO.

1 Like

Haha. Same! And I’ve been on LH way too much lately. I agree these guys are the best in the business. I probably need to go for a 36 month lease to make the shipping worth it for me personally. Thanks for all the thoughts!

Is month end still a thing with dealerships trying to get one or two more cars out? Wonder with Memorial Day, covid, month end - if this and next week are the time to try for something.

Yes…Ive scored great deals literally hours before EOM.

Is paying someone to drive it to you an option (not sure it would be cheaper, or what legal ramifications it would have). I’d do it, btw.

Yes…it amortizes it out. Just watch for increased maintenance costs (as applicable). I trend away from more than 24 mos generally to avoid needing tires.

Theres a 9 pt residual swing between 36 and 24…

Yeah, so the 36 really doesn’t make sense for the S90. More saying if I’m shipping a car, I’d probably be looking for one I plan to keep for a few years to spread the cost out. My current lease (Jeep Grand Cherokee) is up June 26, so I need to make a decision here soon.

Thanks again everyone! Appreciate this community.

Unfortunately wouldn’t make too much sense in this situation. Boston or NYC to Minneapolis is 1,000 miles+. Wouldn’t want to take up 10% of my annual miles, gas, insurance risk, etc. Appreciate the offer!

One of my clients in MI is waiting to ship an S90 said Montway is a good shipper.

Not sure what their pricing looks like.

One can buy some tires for 9%:heavy_check_mark: