Rusty Brake Rotors on a 3k loaner?

Nor are they thinner than other mfgs. Warping has nothing to do with rotors other than uneven pad transfer due to heat.

Well, that’s debatable. A batch of improperly heat treated rotors, for example, could very easily pop up as a common issue with early warping occurring.

https://alconkits.com/support/brake-pad-info/110-the-real-truth-about-warped-brake-rotors

Volvo rotors just suck. I leased a brand new 2017 XC90 and had my rotors replaced twice under warranty due to warping. They probably need replacing again since I can feel the steering wheel shaking when braking but I’m turning the lease in next month so don’t even bother.

Commonly misdiagnosing brake pad issues as warped brake rotors doesn’t mean that rotors don’t warp, just that brake pad issues are commonly misdiagnosed as warped rotors.

Also, your link isn’t a study on that issue, it’s an advertisement for a brake rotor sanding kit. (I’m not disagreeing that “warped rotors” isn’t a commonly misdiagnosed issue, just that that isn’t an unbiased source to evaluate that)

Here’s another one. I’ve been working on cars since I was able to walk. I’ve seen rotors cracked but it’s nearly impossible to get a thick hunk of metal to warp. https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/

It’s off to a really poor start when it start by making a statement like this: “Rotors are cast in extreme heat — three to five times greater than the most aggressive braking situation. Physically “warping” a rotor would require a similar application of extreme heat, which is impossible.” which demonstrate an utter lack of understand of metallurgy.

Thick hunks of metal warp ALL the time. It’s not difficult to do at all.

Let’s agree to disagree. For those of you with this problem, suggest going to different pads if warranty won’t fix the issue. You’ll also need to have the rotors turned to remove the uneven deposits.

This is totally reasonable advice.

In my case warped front rotors were replaced and brake pads were fine and did not need replacement. Just saying.

Keep telling yourself that. Personally seen warped/cracked stock rotors at the track. Yeah some of the guys I used to run with did not upgrade their brakes on the track - that’s their fault, but to say it’s not possible? Yeah I don’t think so.

You’re talking about track use which has nothing to do with what we’re talking about here. But thanks for chiming in.

Well, they don’t get up to metal casting temperatures on the track, either.

I think you’re referring to heat treatment/tempering. Casting temp would cause them to become liquid again. This is pointless now, done talking about it.

Asked and answered. OP got his answer.

Yes, that’s exactly the point