Federal EV tax credit overhaul

4xe battery packs are assembled in Toledo, OH. But that doesn’t matter, 50% components in the battery packs need to be made in US or FTA country. The components, including the cells are made by Samsung SDI(most of their factories are overseas). I would venture to guess there is zero chance the packs meet the 40% minerals minimum. I see the 4xe EV credit going to $3750, at best.

1 Like

You have me confused with someone else, as I’ve been critical of this bill and various provisions within it from the beginning. Get your facts straight.

I think Mineral and Battery requirements goes into affect from 2023. So if one gets the 4xe delivered in 2022 they should be OK.
Final assembly requirement might goes into affect the day bill is signed. Wont be an issue for 4xe since final assembly is in USA…

Horrible policy making. You should always have some sort of grace period when making such drastic changes in law. This is going to be a mess and part of the reason I dont take orders anymore on these vehicles.

On the other hand I should be getting more reasonable deals on Kias moving forwards considering no tax credits.

5 Likes

Yes, the 40% mineral and 50% component minimums start 2023. They go up 10% each following year.

It starts when the Secretary gives guidance, which is required to occur before 2023.

1 Like

It is going to be a mess for all the brands. They have to submit all their mineral and component % periodically to the Treasury to maintain the vehicles for EV credit qualification. Take Tesla for example with just one mineral…Nickel. They get their Nickel from 7 different companies mining in 4 different areas(New Caledonia, Australia, Canada, and China). They just signed another deal to mine Nickel in Minnesota. What packs get this Nickel and what packs get that Nickel. What a cluster.

1 Like

Seems like Ford CEO doesn’t think the rebates are effective. He plans to source China LFP batteries from CATL for mustang and f-150 in future. Pretty sure china batteries won’t qualify for rebate in future…

Source - https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/10/ford-ceo-doesnt-expect-electric-vehicle-battery-costs-to-drop-soon.html?

Or he doesn’t think that the current supply chain can practically meet the tax credit requirements, so he’d rather make cars that don’t meet the credit requirements than not make cars that do.

6 Likes

Just received an email from Rivian:

What Rivian preorder and reservation holders can do.

If you’d like to sign a binding contract for your R1T or R1S purchase, click “Review and Accept” below. Signing the contract will make $100 of your existing $1,000 deposit non-refundable and help you to maintain eligibility to apply for the $7,500 tax credit under its current requirements.

However, the under 80k might be tough, actually scratch that, the 80k would not be relevant because it would fall under this years tax credit criteria.

1 Like

Exactly. Make laws that help the country , people, corporations etc. But give everyone time to prepare for it. Such major changes with zero notice is no different from what DJT did with the Muslim ban (where people took off from their origins fine, and landed in US only to be arrested)

1 Like

Gee. I wonder who they need this for.
Not Bill Gates, or Elon Musk I assure you all.

Can someone validate my understanding (or lack thereof) that if I purchase a Bolt today, will I be able to take advantage of the tax credit come tax time next year?

Could you please confirm if there is something I am missing about the effective date of the North American Assembly? You said that I was misinterpreting the new law, could you please point out the section where it says the North American Assembly criterion is effective as of 1/1/2023? I am really hoping you are right and I am wrong as I have an i4 arriving in October…

No, the GM has exhausted the old credits (limited to 200k vehicles). So if anything on the bill is for the Bolt you would want to take delivery after 1/1/23. People are trying to lock contracts on vehicle companies that as of today still qualify for the under 200k old (2009 era) deal.

1 Like

I will say that on second thought, now I’m not so sure. I still think it’s 1/1/23, but now you have me questioning it. Will keep doing some research on this.

What about the $700k of ammo they bought as well?

https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/government-verify/internal-revenue-service-did-buy-nearly-700k-in-ammunition/536-0ce9f538-a372-4c26-8013-1ab4e571578c

1 Like

Oh hell that’s only a couple cases anymore. :joy:

1 Like

Only $700k ? That’s a low amount :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

The final assembly requirement goes into effect on enactment, which generally refers to when the President signs.

The battery manufacturing requirements go into effect when the Secretary provides guidance, which is to be no later than Dec 31 2022.

2 Likes