Rising insurance premiums

“Big bad insurance companies are greedy and making too much money!!!”

This is the #1 company in US based on volume

No big deal

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

Well apparently I travel to the wrong places, because the pricing seems higher than ever. :frowning_face: lol

Keep in mind those are year over year figures. The previous 2+ years of extremely high inflation is baked in. Everything keeps compounding. A few categories could trend down slightly, but you are still paying high prices. Also like you said, it can also be region specific.

Household energy is going up way faster than 3%…

1 Like

Friendly reminder on inserting politics into discussions

6 Likes

Like Anchorage Alaska during peak summer season. I had some sticker shock when I booked months ago. I checked recently and major rental companies are sold out of cars now. Turo rentals are sky high compared to off peak.

I just booked/am in the middle of booking our family for out east. Rentals are sky high, turo isn’t as cheap as it typically is, and all of the hotels/private rentals are nuts. To stay in a dump (super 8, econo, random place) is $300/night.

I got a good deal on airfare, but that’s about it. :joy:

We’re going to Nashville again in a couple of weeks…same story. In general things are high.

Jealous of anchorage. Flying in and what’s the plan? Alaska has been on my list forever, but I feel it will be a two week trip…and the kids aren’t old enough to keep up on the hikes yet. :rofl:

I’m surprised about Nashville being high. First time for Anchorage for us. Little over a week, splitting it up into two areas, first stay in Denali National Park area (Tundra Tours, hiking). The second part of the trip will be Seward area. Boat Tours, white water rafting, hiking. Kids are now teenagers so they can keep up.

1 Like

This is getting sooooo offftopic but spent a week in Alaska with wife before kids - road trip was insaine:)
I want to go back there agian with kids but my yougest is 4 so doubt he is ready:)

We did 1,500 miles in 1 week:)
Landed in Fairbanks, drove to Denali. Spent two days there (one day bus tour, close up with bears) second day flight over Mt. McKinley.
Drove down to Anchorate - that’s like 5 hours drive but in summer sun never sets so… at 11pm still up and you don realize how late that is.
Then drove to Seward and did ocean tour and saw dolphins, killer whalers, regular whales, and so much more.
Next day drove to Homer (the other side of Kenai peninsula) - soooooo many bold eagels were there almost like walking around you. That bird is huge! Definitly differnt feeling than in zoo.
Then drove to Whittier through that one lane tunnel and took a ferry to Valdez.
From there drove back up to Fairbanks - road less traveled for sure.

Last adventure was taking a tour to fly up to Coldfoot (that ice road trucker show) with the most northen US postal office and drive back in a 10 person van crossing Yukon river in the process…

Kids won’t be able to keep up :rofl:

4 Likes

In other news, got my auto policy renewal last week. Rates are increasing yet again. I’m so tired of this BS. :angry: Both records are spotless clean and I’ve never filed an insurance claim in my entire life.

and yet the price of cars and number of uninsured on roads is increasing… sometimes it has nothing to do with your specifically…

My Leaf SL Plus set back my insurance for a full $40k… that’s about 20 years of premiums at my current rate.

1 Like

It has never really had much to do with me specifically :laughing:

continuously paying more because of everything and everyone else

Just need to work twice as hard and increase my pay to catch up with the lifestyle.

Yeah, now the financial advice find yourself a two full time jobs to work from home:) Just picking up overtime, side gig isn’t cutting it anymore

Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

We paying back now for the huge increases in Auto prices the past few years. Not much that can be done

1 Like

Funny how prices keep inflating. Isn’t there an economic term for that?

2 Likes

Also got an “oh $hit” moment, when I opened my renewal letter from Grange… House + 2 old cars ('08 LS460 & '18 Buick Regal Tourx) - almost $5500. That doesn’t include my old '11 Mazda CX9 driven by my 16yo daughter. That POS is worth maybe ~$3K on a good day, and the insurance premium (comprehensive) is ~$2400 through Travelers. F me… Of course, I’m shopping like crazy and if all goes well, should be able to save almost $2K (Progressive for cars & AAA for house). Geico also appears to be pretty competitive for us. Once my Travelers is up for renewal, I might just add the Mazda to Progressive, since Flo appears to be quite competitive for young drivers. Surprisingly, Progressive won’t touch my house - roof just over 10 years old and dwelling approaching $1M (apparently they want to stay under $500K).

No need to have comprehensive on the Mazda

1 Like