Returning 36k miles Benz w/ only 17k miles on it

Hi,

My first lease ever, a 2017 E350 Mercedes, is set to be returned in May 2020. Originally I got the lease when I was driving a lot but after the first few months I was able to work from home. I’ve only used 17k of the 36k miles I have available on my lease. Any suggestions/thoughts on what I should do about this?

Also, I was victim of a hit and run (they left a note with phone number, but don’t respond), so the drivers side has some damage. Any thoughts on whether I should fix it before returning or just take the charge on it?

Thanks for all help in advance!

The second part totally negates any potential success for the first part. Get lease end inspection and then an estimate from a body shop. Decide what’s best after that.

3 Likes

Ask them for a thank you note that you gave back a car with less miles than expected.

Get the lease end inspection, find out the cost and then take it to a local body shop. Pay whoever is cheaper.

Check the value/quotes from carvana/vroom and see what is the best financial scenario.

Great Idea

File a claim with your insurance company. This is considered a comprehensive claim and should NOT affect your record. Speak with your insurance agent/broker.

My lease on the GLE is up in 2 months and Im 8k miles over; mind letting me borrow them from u, or Ill happily pay .10/mile :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe this varies from state to state, but a hit and run is NOT comprehensive. Ask me how I know.

That said, if he has a note admitting it, it would be the other’s fault, and he should get his deductible back with a no fault on his insurance. That may or may not affect his future premiums. He may get questioned or a raised eyebrow as to why it wasn’t reported when it happened, as he mentioned he didn’t respond to the note, however.

Meant to say collision claim :slight_smile:

No idea if MB does this also, but BMW provides a nominal credit for unused miles if you lease another BMW.

Worth asking (if no one here knows).

They don’t…unless it began on Jan 1

2 Likes

Outside of not wanting to pay for gas and insurance on it, none that I can think of.

You’re not going to be able to get what it’s worth selling it to carvana/vroom with an accident, and I doubt either would take it once it’s fixed either, so that isn’t an option for you. Carvana sells cars with no accident history, and I’m almost positive Vroom does too. The accident will hurt your resale value regardless.

Time to go on a road trip

3 Likes

Correct, no reimbursement for unused mileage on the original lease term. The only time they do is if you purchase additional miles after signing a lease, they will refund the unused portion.

You may already know this, but there are 7,500-mile/year (and other lower-mileage) leases on certain makes/models for next time around.

They aren’t discussed here nearly as frequently as 10/12/15k leases, because 7,500/year is insufficient for the average person’s needs.

But not everyone has needs that fall in the middle three quintiles.

Don’t sweat it… the extra mileage isn’t worth that much… for a $50K car, if you went with 7,500 vs. 12k upfront, i would be $1,000 over the lifetime of the lease. The “cost” to the captive is certainly cheaper so increased value to the residual is even less. The accident is definitely going to impact the value much more.

Most of the depreciation happens from the car sitting in your driveway, not the mileage.

1 Like

I would check how much it cost to fix yourself vs how much MB will charge you.

Someone hit my Infiniti several years ago, got a check from insurance company for $3600. Had to do a lease return inspection and Infiniti only quoted me extra $650 to return as is. Hello $3k profit.

That profit probably came out of your future premium payments bud :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe its capped at $350.

1 Like

Side hustle as an Uber driver for the next few of months and enjoy driving your car.