Registration renewal due during lease buyout for resell

I am trying to buy my leased Nissan leaf. See another post for sales tax issue here

I will get the title after the buyout by feb end - mid march. Although my registration renewal is due in last week of Feb. I plan to sell the car to Carvana, CarMax etc not private party.

The dealership said that I must pay the registration feee which makes sense but in CA the registration renewal is not refundable so is there some way to avoid $500 registration renewal when I plan to sell it asap and will not be operating the car.

I am considering PNO (planned non operation) which is just $23 but I am not sure if it will make selling to third party car dealers hard. I asked my car auction and carvana rep and they said they can buy PNO cars. Following this group I have come to know that most times these reps don’t know all the details :smiley:

Honestly, go now to the Dealer and see if he will match the 3rd parties…poof no registration or sales tax issues.

I believe this is the problem:

They have to solve one issue at a time.

No, it’s a related problem but not the same.

OP wants to buy the car without registration but will not get Title till after it expires. In CA that means you gotta pay something and most car dealers will not submit a purchase with a PNO (Planned Non Operation), in fact I don’t even think you can just buy a PNO from a normal car dealer.

Got it.

I planned to do the same before extending my lease (registration was due 12/26, the lease was ending 1/8). I considered filing for a PNO but decided to pay the registration early on.

California DMV is a mess. I went yesterday with an appointment, only to find they do not honor appointment times anymore. They have an app, but it notified me that I was no longer in line as soon as I left the office.

Serenity now!

AAA DMV is worth the $75 a year with all the other benefits.

I have AAA. The local offices do not offer the services I have needed for the past few years.

I remember the easy days of using them, though.

serenity GIF

wow didn’t know there were offices that didn’t have a DMV. All of my local ones do.

This is a not a possibility. From my contract it seems like dealership is the lessor so they really want me to just turn the car in being frustrated with all the tax and fee so that they can sell it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.