Registration and NY State Inspection during Covid-19

Hello all,

I leased an X3 last month from north NJ dealer and I am going to register the car in NY. The dealer gave me a temporary licensed plate expired on Apr 16th. Originally, I should receive the NY plates now but things changed due to the coronavirus.

The NJ MVC extends the temporary tag for 2 months so they told me I am good to drive.

The dealer is closed so they cannot track the application status. I believe they haven’t started yet because NY DMV already suspended registration.

The NY DMV has no information about when things back to normal. They said in the mid of May hopefully.

Here comes my question. My car doesn’t have an NJ state inspection tag. According to NY DMV, the car registered in NY should take NY state inspection within 14 days after registration. Obviously the registration is delayed so do I need to take the car to state inspection now? Is it possible to get a ticket?

According to NY DMV:

Inspections

All inspections expiring March 31st or later have been extended until further notice.

5 Likes

Thanks! Maybe I was too nervous under this pandemic. Hope things get better soon