Rear ended 2019 Lexus RX450H

I would fight for their insurance to provide a comparable rental and make a decision about LFS once you have all the information.

This body shop did a great job with Eminent White during my previous hit and run. I’m taking it to the same place this time around.

Yea, I don’t plan to, and I thank everyone on this thread for their advice for making me come to that decision. However, I wanted to extend the lease by a year (or 6 months or how much ever LFS will allow) and wait for the market to cool down a bit before getting a new car.

1 Like

Good to hear. My eyes aren’t what they used to be, but in different lights mismatched Eminent White can be pretty noticeable.

Curious to know if you filed a claim through the other party’s insurance?

I went through my insurance and they’ll settle with the other party

So the body shop just got back to me and it looks like there is frame damage and the side frame rail will need to be replaced :exploding_head:. God only knows how long that is going to take to order and replace

1 Like

I would ground this thing as soon as it’s fixed. If reg is due for renewal I’d consider a NonOp and tow it to the dealership when it’s fixed.

…we all have been waiting for market to cool down but it is not cooling down :slight_smile:

In hindsight, I stopped trying to time the market for my own sanity.

1 Like

Can’t the OP wash his hands off this car now i.e make his last payment (no extension) and let insurance and bank handle the rest? I am not familiar with this " accident right before the lease ending" scenario hence asking.

Always check your contract, but I believe it needs to be returned to OEM re-sellable condition before it’s turned-in, or they will receive a bill for the repair.

Keep pushing the insurers to declare it a total loss.

2 Likes

What’s the verdict

I ended up doing a verbal extension of the lease by 6 months. Same terms, no written contract and I can return the car any time in those 6 months. I just spoke with the body shop as well, and they said it might just take till mid June to fix the car. Unfortunately, I am going to be traveling on and off for all of June and probably won’t be able to pick up the car mid-June and will only be able to actually check out the car by the time I get back at the end of June.

I’ll have my insurance file for all the payments (additional lease payments while the car was in the shop, rental) with the other party’s insurance. Any other things that I should file for with the other party’s insurance apart from lease payments and rental?

I had a prepaid maintenance contract with the dealership as well for 3 years/30K miles. Since the car is in the shop when those 3 years are up, do you think they would honor the last maintenance check (30K) when the car is back?

1 Like

Sounds like it was through the dealer, so only they can answer this. But check your paperwork if it requires you to get the 3yr done within X timeframe of the 3-yr mark. If it doesn’t, and it isn’t that far apart, you have a good argument for them to honor it.

Here’s what the contract says about vehicle damage:

You are responsible for all maintenance, repair, service, and operating expenses of the Vehicle. You agree to keep the Vehicle in the same condition as when you received it, except for reasonable wear, to maintain the Vehicle so that any warranties or similar agreements remain effective and so that it passes all inspections required by law, to follow the owner’s manual and maintenance schedule, and to provide us with written proof of such maintenance. You agree to make the Vehicle available to us for inspection during the Lease Term at any reasonable time and place that we request.

1 Like

Thanks for that! Contract says that All Covered Services must be used within one year of the Agreement
Expiration Date (which is the end of the lease - 5/11/2022), so hopefully I should be okay.

On another note, there are a couple of dealerships here in the area that are offering discounts (3-4K below MSRP) on gas RXs. Looks like the 2023 RX is completely redesigned and they might be trying to sell inventory(?).

In this market? All they have to do is wait a week for it to sell, no need for a fire sale. More than likely those ‘discounts’ have ADM somewhere.

I just got an RX below invoice with no add-ons so that doesn’t sound so surprising to me. Only the gas version though. There’s a decent supply of those coming in.

The gas RX models seem to be one of the few Lexus models that can be bought for under MSRP. The RX has $1,500 lease cash available this month.