Really want a Volvo XC90, but should I wait for 2022 to come out? What other 3 row SUVs should I consider?

2022 XC90 will be a redesign though there is no word of a release date. Probably not this year . I would personally not get a car due for a redesign shortly. I would think of it this way for XC90 - Would I be happy driving the old design 2 more years after the new design hits the road? I would be itching to upgrade…

Exactly. That is 100% why I’m hesitant to get a 2021 XC90. I wish I could just take over a BMW X3 lease for a year until the redesigned XC90 comes out.

There’s nothing concrete about the next gen XC90 yet. Maybe sign a 2 year lease and by the time it matures, new gen XC90 would be at a good place to lease.

4 Likes

Considering the market at this point, i would just try to find anything that isn’t obscenely more expensive to lease vs normal times.

Maybe a Wrangler 4xe? Not exactly a luxo Ute, but it’s got features and it’s relatively reasonable if you can work a deal.

An Acura TLX or Volvo S60 come to mind as other options that might have a reasonable lease offer.

I assume Bolt will be too small.

With a new baby on the way, I couldn’t see myself substituting one of the safest cars on the road (probably the) for any Jeep, forget one whose crash ratings are all still TBD.

4 Likes

25 posts were split to a new topic: Hd908 thinks Volvo is unsafe (feel free to edit OP)

You won’t go wrong with it, my wife and kids love ours.

2 Likes

I won’t argue with that. But otherwise he’s facing the choice of paying nearly full boat on vehicles that he will almost assuredly be underwater on in a year or so.

Now that you mention it, the MDX is a decent choice. Not a value option like a 2020 which are mostly gone, but there are worse options in these times.

1 Like

A Highlander would be a good choice. A terrible lease but a genesis GV80 has been crashed (for safety ratings) and is incredibly safe

3 Likes

Lets stays on topic, shall we?

2 Likes

Nobody knows when the market will return to normal, or what that is. If the XC90 is top of the list, it’s about the best leasing 3-row (after the Highlander, or a non-existent leftover 2020 MDX). Needing something, now, for a baby, I’d focus on the best deal today. But that’s me.

A GV80 or a Palluride would also be great choices, dreadful leases. One could buy a Minivan. Everything I mentioned is in the same safety realm. Definitely not intending “Volvo is safe / rest is trash” but you get it.

Agree, trying to bring it back around

Please. No. Use one of the many, many, many, many 3-row tasting menu threads. Please?

Reminder that 1 :baby_symbol: does not require a 3 row SUV, in which case you you get a few more choices. An XC60 T5 AWD would be great for 30 of the 36 months before you pull-ahead with loyalty into an XC90 that is all new but not leasing like a mugging (which they will). Also look at X3/X5, Q5, etc.

3 Likes

Fair enough. I’m eagerly awaiting the ‘22 XC90.

Honestly I’d look into a highlander right now, it’ll hold its value.

1 Like

Man yet Highlanders leased so good in March (as did everything), but it def dropped off. Not sure how it is these days. But worth looking into.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

Correct. Plaintiff attorney here. Seen way too many tragic accidents to be putting my family in a Jeep.

1 Like

I think I heard that the redesign was moved to MY23

2 Likes

Why do you need 3 rows? Genuine question

4 Likes

Good question… and here’s a convoluted answer:

a) Dog: We have a large dog, so we want to be able to bring it along with us. Cars with captains chairs in middle row (XC90, Model X, BMW X7*) seemed to be good options because the dog can lay on the floor in the middle of the seats. Asterisk for the BMW X7 because there is almost zero space between the captains chairs… so that’s not an option anymore. I rented a Model X through Turo recently and it was just perfect in this regard (and in so many other ways), except charging it would be a pain in the ass because my driveway has a gate which I have to manually open (feel free to mock my laziness) and the Model X is so damn expensive and used ones are impossible to find right now.

b) Parents: We both have elderly parents who barely drive anymore (they certainly don’t drive on highways/freeways). We want to be able to travel with them or even just go to local places together. It is going to be very hard/uncomfortable to do that with a car seat in the back of a 5 seater car/SUV.