Really want a Volvo XC90, but should I wait for 2022 to come out? What other 3 row SUVs should I consider?

Wife and I are expecting our first baby in August. We currently have a 2020 M340i (not exactly “family friendly” given that our 60 pound dog sits on the back seat where the car seat is supposed to go), and have been sharing 1 car since our other car’s lease ended during the pandemic (perfect timing actually).

We really want the Volvo XC90, but I’m considering waiting for the 2022 models to come out. I was thinking I’ll take over a lease on another SUV while we wait, but there isn’t much out there (e.g. the private transfer forums for so-cal is almost entirely void of available leases).

So I have a few questions:

1. Should I wait for the 2022 XC90?
  2. If so, anyone have any creative ideas for what to do in the meantime? We still need two cars.
  3. What other 3 row SUVs should I consider?

Thanks in advance!

2022 XC90 will be a redesign though there is no word of a release date. Probably not this year . I would personally not get a car due for a redesign shortly. I would think of it this way for XC90 - Would I be happy driving the old design 2 more years after the new design hits the road? I would be itching to upgrade…

Exactly. That is 100% why I’m hesitant to get a 2021 XC90. I wish I could just take over a BMW X3 lease for a year until the redesigned XC90 comes out.

There’s nothing concrete about the next gen XC90 yet. Maybe sign a 2 year lease and by the time it matures, new gen XC90 would be at a good place to lease.

4 Likes

Considering the market at this point, i would just try to find anything that isn’t obscenely more expensive to lease vs normal times.

Maybe a Wrangler 4xe? Not exactly a luxo Ute, but it’s got features and it’s relatively reasonable if you can work a deal.

An Acura TLX or Volvo S60 come to mind as other options that might have a reasonable lease offer.

I assume Bolt will be too small.

With a new baby on the way, I couldn’t see myself substituting one of the safest cars on the road (probably the) for any Jeep, forget one whose crash ratings are all still TBD.

4 Likes

25 posts were split to a new topic: Hd908 thinks Volvo is unsafe (feel free to edit OP)

You won’t go wrong with it, my wife and kids love ours.

2 Likes

I won’t argue with that. But otherwise he’s facing the choice of paying nearly full boat on vehicles that he will almost assuredly be underwater on in a year or so.

Now that you mention it, the MDX is a decent choice. Not a value option like a 2020 which are mostly gone, but there are worse options in these times.

1 Like

A Highlander would be a good choice. A terrible lease but a genesis GV80 has been crashed (for safety ratings) and is incredibly safe

3 Likes

Lets stays on topic, shall we?

2 Likes

Nobody knows when the market will return to normal, or what that is. If the XC90 is top of the list, it’s about the best leasing 3-row (after the Highlander, or a non-existent leftover 2020 MDX). Needing something, now, for a baby, I’d focus on the best deal today. But that’s me.

A GV80 or a Palluride would also be great choices, dreadful leases. One could buy a Minivan. Everything I mentioned is in the same safety realm. Definitely not intending “Volvo is safe / rest is trash” but you get it.

Agree, trying to bring it back around

Please. No. Use one of the many, many, many, many 3-row tasting menu threads. Please?

Reminder that 1 :baby_symbol: does not require a 3 row SUV, in which case you you get a few more choices. An XC60 T5 AWD would be great for 30 of the 36 months before you pull-ahead with loyalty into an XC90 that is all new but not leasing like a mugging (which they will). Also look at X3/X5, Q5, etc.

3 Likes

Fair enough. I’m eagerly awaiting the ‘22 XC90.

Honestly I’d look into a highlander right now, it’ll hold its value.

1 Like

Man yet Highlanders leased so good in March (as did everything), but it def dropped off. Not sure how it is these days. But worth looking into.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

Correct. Plaintiff attorney here. Seen way too many tragic accidents to be putting my family in a Jeep.

1 Like

I think I heard that the redesign was moved to MY23

2 Likes

Why do you need 3 rows? Genuine question

4 Likes