? You don’t need to have a buyer’s agent to see a house…I’ve always just called the listing agent directly to set up visits.
You don’t but a lot of people are clueless…lease cars but don’t know how to calculate or negotiate a lease (hire broker)…can find a home but have no idea how to negotiate or handle a sales contract, etc. (hire buyer agent).
I can’t speak for NY but for NJ right now. You can not legally tour a home without an agreement to pay commission and establish an agency relationship whether it’s the listing agent, a buyer’s agent or whomever.
Maybe a state thing but makes zero sense with new ‘rules’…seller pays listing agent fee now…why would a buyer without agent pay any commission? Are you saying the state is forcing a buyer to use a buyer agent? I think not…
Agents are weird, some places agents do so much work with contracts and stuff, and other places they’re just door openers. Even in the same state, for example, NNJ agents are more likely to do nothing than open doors while SJ agents are doing much more.
So what you’re saying is I should get a real estate license so I can tour homes without dealing with all that nonsense? Sounds easier.
Don’t quote me on it but it’s basically national with the new settlement. The NJ State Law effectively states everyone who tours a home outside of an open house MUST have an agency agreement even if it’s a listing agent.
Yes. Or you can just be an attorney in the state of NJ…
Point is if a buyer wants to represent himself he can do so…he doesn’t need to pay any new buy side commission unless he wants help. He can set up appointments directly with listing agents…and hey, maybe some of these listing agents won’t want to deal with a self rep’ed buyer so I’d just move along.
So you are saying a buyer self rep’ing and wanting to see a house MUST have an agreement with an agent to rep him from buy side?! Sorry but I don’t believe that.
Like I have always done I’m going to email proof of funds for a cash deal to listing agent and they will let me see house…that won’t change unless listing agent is an idiot.
Basically yes. While it’s not perfectly clear, we have been advised to do no showings to anyone outside of a open house without a Buyer’s agency agreement.
So now if you want to be an unrepresented buyer, you must go to an open house to take a look at the house or you will have to submit your offer sight unseen.
So the listing agent following the law is an idiot… Maybe the listing agent can do an open house during your availability but that’s pretty much it lol. Look I get you since I got more cars than I got clients (I got my license for myself) but that’s what the Justice department and sellers want so…
OK, so the state leaders are idiots then. What a joke if true. This would only hurt the sellers.
Does Joisey allow flat fee MLS listings? I have always flat fee listed and handled all and would certainly not turn down a visit from a qualified but unrep’ed buyer…who is going to enforce that?
This is national I think lol. So get screwed buddy. And yes flat fee agents still exist. Good luck to get them to host an open house that requires more signage than your local buy here pay here dealership for free though.
You could, as the seller, open your doors and do your own showing but an agent can’t legally do it lol
EDIT, I read the article below and nothing really specific to self rep’ing. I can NOT believe they will make you get a buyer’s agent.
Nah, you are a hobby agent so I’d talk with a real agent first before believing you. ![]()
You don’t need a buyers agent to buy. But you do need a buyer’s agent to do private showing! And it gets worse lol. You’re required to do sellers disclosures now too.
Hey man, I’m a real estate investor, the agent work is just so I can afford my mlites!
Just saw this…
If you call the listing agent directly, you can probably execute a non-agency/notice of ministerial acts rather than a representation agreement, and the listing agent should be able to show you the house.
I tried listing by owner and these companies do everything possible including hiding your ad to force you go real estate agent route. I got over 50 calls in two days from different agents offering services etc… I was thinking that we something like Craigslist for private sales. I caved in and gave my listing to my neighbor at 2.5% commission.