Rav4 Prime - Are good deals possible?

It’s bland in all aspects with decent 0-60 nowhere does it say I’m worth $900 a month to lease. Only people paying this money are cult fanatics.

1 Like

You can have a Tesla for that money that will actually make you feel like you driving something special

1 Like

I can’t bother to do the math, but it’s probably around 35k-ish to rent a Toyota for 3 years? But you are saving $50 in gas every month…

I’ll do it for you $36k for three years all in to drive a rav4. I’ve seen bmw x7 leases that cost less

Haha…I want to be a fly on the wall after contract is signed, party in the dealership

A $36k lease on a car that costs $40k… :rofl:

2 Likes

Why would anyone rent a Toyota? Maintenance is minimal and reliability is off the charts…
OP can finance for around $600 for 60 months and will have 20k equity at the end

2 Likes

Have you tried cross-hacking? If you can get a MF on a Corolla and a residual on a Camry along with some rebates from Chevy we could probably get sub-$200.

3 Likes

You might be right. Until I saw this exorbitant monthly lease cost, I thought they could be similar in terms of effective mpg. The Prime has an MPGe of 94. Toyota lists the Rav4 hybrid at 41/38 on their website. The Prime is easily double the mpg.

The Prime I’m looking at is fully loaded and comes in at $50k msrp. The hybrid fully loaded lists for $39k. On top of that, because of scarcity, dealerships have been tacking on a $10k premium for the Prime. That’s how they get to $900/mo. In my view, it’s a better car, and the best PHEV out there, but $20k better? That’s hard to swallow. But what’s the alternative?

Good point. But I drove the Volvo PHEV XC60, and in all electric mode, it crawled like a snail. Audi’s Q5e was a fabulous drive, but you drive it for about 10 minutes and the battery is exhausted. The point of the PHEV is to avoid the worry of finding that next charger on the road. Doesn’t seem to be another PHEV out there that does what a PHEV is supposed to do – that is drive electric day-to-day and get great gas mileage on the highway.

Even in a Toyota that will last 10 years, even with an 84 month loan, a 10k bump sticker is $119/mo plus tax and rent, for the privilege of putting it into service in Nov 2020, instead of say June 2021.

Hard pass.

You were in Eco mode, I promise you. I learned the hard way with MB: test ALL the driving modes in PHEVs

2 Likes

The reason to lease is that in another couple of years, there will be superior PHEVs with longer electric motor ranges. When those come along I’ll want to own the longer range, like everyone else. Then, it will be tough to unload a PHEV with a puny range. That’s the logic, anyway.

The alternative is simply not getting a RAV4 Prime, which is the far more reasonable option here. You still haven’t established why a Prime at $10k over list (or even at list, frankly) is worth the…prime-ium (sorry).

For $900/month and $3k down, you could get a fully BEV vehicle like a Bolt/Ioniq for your short trips AND get a RAV4 hybrid for long-distance AND still have money left over!

3 Likes

You’re right; I was; and it crawled.

I thought about a Benz but they don’t sell a PHEV SUV…

1 Like

Your point is hard to argue with, once I saw the lease terms today. I need the SUV b/c it’s higher off the ground and I travel dirt roads in the mountains. I know the Bolt; it’s tight as last year’s jeans.

You should see how slow it is when it’s in park!

1 Like

But why do you need the phev?

GLC350e 101010

Edit: it was vile to drive, I got an XC60 instead

Sorry but I don’t understand cross-hacking. Don’t you end up with one of those cars?

Our store is $3500 over and .00001MF

SE sold out for at least a month

1 Like