RANT: What's the point of insurance if using it increases your premiums?

State farm quoted me 2000/6months last week

Try eSurance, ClearCover, and Lemonade. I’ve found one of the three to usually have the lowest rates. Also, try The Zebra (auto insurance marketplace), I’ve sometimes had luck there as well. I currently have a '22 Jeep GCL, paying $384 for 6 months via Lemonade (I’m in the Midwest, late 20s, and married; no accidents, tickets, or claims)

you live in one of the big metro cities?

you know how long accidents stay on the record for? I’ve seen some companies ask for 5 years while others 3 years

I had one that stayed on my CLUE report for 7 years, and someone else was driving my car.

If you are someone who checks your credit periodically, you should also be checking your CLUE report.

What’s the easiest / most cost effective way to check your CLUE report?

2 Likes

I have Progressive as well and pretty much Tesla footage completely cleared me and got my deductible back as well. Seems it was really shitty rep

2 Likes

This article is still a great resource, and includes how to obtain it.

2 Likes

I tried to order my report a few months ago, but the letter said Lexis Nexis could not find me. I meant to follow up at the time but got sidetracked and ordered it again a few weeks ago, and it was the same result. So I called, and they processed it manually. I still cannot figure out why they could not verify my information, as while the individual on the other end was both helpful and friendly, they were difficult to understand. It is the same method as pulling a credit report or verifying information for a soft inquiry (including your name, address, and social security number). I never have problems with credit-related information requests, so it is odd.

My entire reason for pulling the report was due to the claim I filed showing while rate shopping for insurance with every company but my own. I even contacted my company (Progressive), and they claimed to have never reported it and that they did not intend to show it anywhere else but their system (“Progressive Only”). But during my call with Lexis Nexis, they informed me the claim was on my report, which is why every insurance company saw it. So, as @jeisensc said, it is something everyone should check.

1 Like

Not the same issue pulling my CLUE report specifically, but I ran into an issue because my father and I have the same first name, and our entire Lexis-Nexis master files got cross-linked. I had to request it sent to me in writing and send them corrections twice before it was resolved.

There are three credit bureaus, there is only one Lexis-Nexis, and a lot of decisions about your life are made based on that data. It’s in your best interest to ensure it’s accurate.

1 Like

Check with Costco. I got the lowest quote from them, I do pay on average $370 per car for 6 months ( with the maximum coverage ) in FL. At the same time, I had the higher quotes from other carriers. One important thing: I got the US DL last year, so I am considered a " NEW " driver for many carriers and they tend to charge higher rates, but Costco didn’t charge extra premium for that. May be, Costco wouldnt mind your one claim for the higher rates.

I’ve come out so far ahead with insurance and it’s all been with the same company (Liberty Mutual). Surprisingly they still offer me great rates.
First was a claim through renter’s insurance for my car getting all 4 windows smashed and broken into, then another renter’s insurance claim for something I can’t remember, and most recently I had a claim on a collector’s car policy through SafeCo (owned by Liberty Mutual).

I bought a 2008 Z06 and kept it in the garage, didn’t plan on dailying it so I wanted an agreed value collector’s car policy. Most companies still considered me a “youth driver” (@25 Y/O lmao) and rates were egregious, while SafeCo let me claim a value of $42k for like $300 for the year or something crazy like that. Sure enough, a few months later I smoked a curb and needed to replace the suspension on one corner of the car. I took some pics, dropped it off at the shop, and they paid me out in full for even more than I was expecting. (Like $4k?)

I sold the car after that but have been wondering what my rate increase would have been. I have a feeling next time I’m going to shop for insurance, and they ask “have you been in an accident” I’ll just put no cause I wouldn’t call it an accident.

This might be the reason for those

egregious rates.

Just messing around. Seriously though, good for you for owning a Z06 at such a young age.

1 Like

Oh trust me, when I was typing it out I was like “oh the irony.”
Only time I’ve been in an accident though and I’ve never had a ticket. That was just the beginning of a long list of bs I went through with that car, it was 100% cursed and I’m glad it’s gone

1 Like

Costco (of which I have been a member for over a decade) was who I would switch to. The rates were slightly lower than my current insurer for the same coverage, and I read positive reviews about CONNECT, powered by American Family Insurance. I got as far as purchasing the policy – until the C.L.U.E. report (LexisNexis) came back with the surprise that placed the rear-end accident as my fault. It doubled my rate. I called to confirm, and the C.S. was extraordinarily kind and patient (since it surprised me). They asked me to send a letter of experience from Progressive, which showed I was not at fault (I had already sent a communication of my record that showed the same, but they precisely needed the letter of experience). I gave up at that point because even though Progressive has me not at fault internally, that would change the moment I asked for the letter, as they would know I was looking to leave them.

Beyond Esurance (who, upon reviews, I would not trust to cover me in the event of an accident), Costco was the lowest rate I encountered by far. All others (and I shopped rates at almost all) were double my current payment or more.

The name thing could be the culprit. Although I am a woman, I have the same name as my father (unisex). I now recall the individual I spoke to mentioning it.

1 Like

A letter of experience is pretty standard in the insurance business. It should not change anything with your current carrier. It will be needed if your not at fault accident is showing up as an at fault accident if you change carriers in the future.

Check out Costco insurance. Progressive raised my 6mo by $500 for no other reason than they could and Costco’s insurance provider was about $500 less than my previous rate.

Also put your wife first on the policy. Women tend to get better insurance rates since they are viewed as less risky drivers.

Wife has 2 accidents on file. Also, I dont want to go into details but she doesn’t have access to my vehicle.

1 Like

I am cautious due to how Progressive handled the accident and claim. I would love to leave them at this point, but they have fought me every step of the way. I cannot even have a polite/professional conversation with them. They have done (and gotten away with) things I did not even believe were possible, so I honestly want to lock in the current rate with them and have six months to do what I need to. I would not put it past them to alter the state of fault in the letter of experience at this point (even though I have various letters from them with the designation I was not at fault in the claim). I do not feel the company is the problem, but the Claims Rep and their Supervisor have done so many dishonest things; I am playing it safe (for now). My fear is though they have kept my rate the same, if I request a letter of experience, they will raise it. It sounds crazy, I know, but if I shared what they have gotten away with, it would seem the most intelligent play.

I could pay my renewal now (early), then immediately make the request for the letter and see what happens. But as I understand it, insurance companies can and will raise rates during a policy term. Typing this out, though, the plan might be something I will do.

Since I have numerous documentation from Progressive saying I am not at fault, I also made a dispute with LexisNexis last week for it to change on my report, so I will see what comes of that.