Question regarding Sales Tax, MSDs

, , ,

So I am going to be closing on a Volvo S60 out in NJ, I live on Long Island, NY. Few questions.

1. I was told $2,500 DAS, incl fees/tax. Does this include sales tax? My understanding was that sales tax is paid at DMV when I get the regi/license no?" I just want to avoid double taxation here.

2. MSDs: I’d be maxing these out, are there any drawbacks? Can they take this at the end of the lease for the over millage charge or the wear/tear?

From my understanding, the tax is due upfront in NJ/NY, so that 2500 does include tax. The dealer will pay the DMV the tax for you. They also register the car for you which is why registration is due at signing most of the times.

Per the calculator Tax is levied upfront on the total lease payment (e.g. NY, NJ, MN, OH, GA).

Also take a look at this thread for your second question. Looks like MSDs do have a bit of a downside, from my understanding if the car is totaled or you sell your lease and dont turn it in, you lose out on your MSD,

There’s no MSD in NY

Hey bud. Would you mind telling me which model S6 MSRP and the numbers you fit were. Looking for a T6 ASAP myself. Thank so much.

I believe MSDs are returned in event of car being totaled. That’s why they are considered to be so great.

What you pay at signing (fees, taxes, cash down) is however not refundable in case of total write off.

You would have to ask how they structured the deal and what is included in the $2,500. Although taxes are due upfront in NY, they can be rolled into the lease.

In the end, $1 going towards tax vs the acquisition fee is the same, but good to understand the structure of the deal.

He’s buying in Jersey which allow MSD’s doesn’t matter if he lives in NY.

That thread is out of date and full of lots of incorrect information.

Does it matter to you if mileage overage fees or excess wear/tear come out of your MSDs? If you have to pay them, you have to pay them, regardless of if it comes out of your MSDs refund or you cut them a separate check.

1 Like