'Property Tax' Volvo - MA

MA property tax is based on value of the car and would be the same whether you owned or leased the car. It drops down over the first 5 years and then levels out at a lower amount after that. It’s not as straight forward to calculate as sales tax which is think why few banks build it into the lease payment.

The excise tax is based on the valuation of the car. It’s always the highest the first model year, and goes down significantly thereafter. If you owned the car, youd still pay it…but would have to pay the entire amount due upon getting bill. As a lease, you should be allowed to pay it back in interest free chunks over the year. So split it up in manageable amounts. Welcome to the joys of “Taxachusetts”

Yowza. That’s the last time I complain about WA RTA tax at registration time. This is another $160/month of tax…

1 Like

Lol… Welcome to Tax-achusetts!

Best part of this “property tax”, you will be paying a high amount each year of the (3 year) lease… Oh what fun.

And ironically this Brit is now being overtaxed by Massachusetts.
Amazing what a couple hundred years can do.

8 Likes

Couple things. 1. I’d guess this guy is driving a XC90T8 since you would need a MSRP around 90k to get a 2k bill from Massachusetts in year one of lease. I get leasehackrs can get great deals on super expensive cars but for politicians not knowing about leasehacking, sticking someone driving a 90k car with a 2k tax bill doesn’t seem terrible.

Also Massachusetts tax burden is middle of pack (19th). I certainly haven’t lived anywhere with lower taxes since leaving Massachusetts.

2 Likes

Thanks all.

Something else to consider when I’m trying to work out the actual cost of a lease over x years.

At least I know my final year is only gonna be charged at 40% so I shouldn’t be looking at another whole grand!

I guess it’s not something that is additionally disadvantageous over buying, at least over buying brand new, I’m deffo considering moving to New Hampshire though!

New Hampshire property taxes are expensive. That’s how they make up for no sales tax. And they have excise taxes too

I lived in NH before moving to MA, NO excise taxes. But they get you with high property taxes and the cost of registration each year is dependent on car value. So it really doesn’t matter which side of the border you’re on… Lol

They dont call it an excise tax…but it is the same thing since its value based each year during registration.

Taxes are middle of the pack, agreed… But they have different ways of charging residents money which can suck. The terrible traffic situation & all these taxes are making me willing to relocate.

I have a bunch of friends in the tech community (wish I had learned to code instead of law school but c’est la vie) who are in such demand they can easily get a great paying job anywhere. They frequently debate where the best place to work is re cost of living and taxes but not being somewhere without urban amenities…there is a reason Amazon selected DC and NY for HQ2 rather than Columbus and Oklahoma City.

Most conclude Washington State is the best option. Lack of state income tax, especially in limited SALT deduction environment makes big difference. But after Washington State, MA is about the best. Taxes are much higher in NYC, DC, Illinois and California. Places like MA and Virginia seems terrible because of the annual car tax which isn’t automatically withheld like income tax.

As an aside, I hate the car tax from policy grounds. It’s super regressive, hard to enforce and usually environmentally unfriendly.

1 Like

I wish I could go back and slap my sophomore self for changing paths towards law school.

1 Like

The MA excise tax is very progressive.

Drive a pricey car, pay a high tax.
Drive a beater, pay a low tax.
Ride a bus/train, walk: pay no tax.

That’s progressive taxation.

Regressive taxation is: pay $500/yr for registration no matter car you have. Or a sales tax on bare necessities.

Please explain how it’s environmentally unfriendly.

2 Likes

Ron Paul Irs GIF

I will say… I don’t mind the property tax and understand its purpose. But for super short-term leases that just so happen to cross calendar years, it is a bureaucratic nightmare. Just got the pro-rated 2023 property tax bill via Audi Financial for a Q4 I leased in August 2023 and traded in in January 2024.

So when the 2024 bill comes, going to have to coordinate with AFS to do the abatement…

1 Like

“Let’s revive a 5yr old thread to debate the regressive nature of excise tax,” said no one else ever.

4 Likes

Reopening per Moderation Guidelines: “Do not lock necromanced threads if the topic is not time-sensitive (e.g., a Leasing 101-type discussion).”

That said, if the discussion on the particularities of tax policy continue, we may move relevant posts to a new topic so as to keep things on-topic and relevant to the original “Ask the Hackrs” question, provided it does not become a political discussion.

Agree it’s kind of a pain, BMW made it relatively easy.

I just submitted a request to Polestar Financial and will report back how long it takes.