Proof of residency needed for leasing or financing in MA?

Ok, so I’ve done some googling about financing and leasing a new car in Massachusetts. My situation is that I need a new car when I move to MA, but I may not have my own place immediately. I’ll be at a relatives’ place for a bit, but would like to get the car as soon as I get there.

I see that a car registered in MA needs to be registered to an MA address. I see that a proof of lawful presence is required as well. I can’t find where I am required to have proof of residency, though. Could mentions that I’ve heard about that just have meant the need to register the vehicle at an MA address? Then I can just use my relatives’ address, right? I’ll change the address to mine as soon as I move into my own place anyways.

Also, is there anything different to the process whether I’m buying or leasing? Any different documents needed, etc.?

You may also want to consider the tax impact of buying where you live now vs. buying in MA. You’ll pay sales and excise tax here in MA, though depending where you are now it could be more or less if you bought or leased prior.

Yes, I have read this carefully. I would like to know why I have been asked for proof of residence by a couple of brokers and dealerships when inquiring about getting a car in MA. I don’t see why from the info on this site.

The RMV itself does not require any proof when registering the vehicle. However, the bank/dealer may require proof of address if the address does not match your address history on your credit report.

Registering a car in MA is a pain and different than the other states. They don’t do temporary tags and as a result out of state brokers and dealers elect not do business in MA because of the work involved registering a car ahead of the sale.

Was going to say same - it’s likely something the bank is asking for if they are seeing a new address on your application, not the RMV

Didn’t you post this like 2 weeks ago or am I tripping.

Something close to it, yes. I’ve been trying to understand this particular part of the process and it has been difficult to figure out. Apologies if this is repetitive, I am perfectly ok with my post being removed.

1 Like

Ah, so that’s why it’s been hard to find the info on this. It’s something specifically on the lender’s side of things. I will look into this more, thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.