Programming a clicker from your Homelink?

I’m very familiar with setting up Homelink buttons for various gates, garages etc.

Is there any possible way to do the reverse? For example, I have my neighbor gate programmed to my car, but would like to program a universal clicker. Is this possible? Are certain brands easier than others? If this is possible, can I use that clicker to program another homelink? I’ve ordered an actual clicker from the HOA but apparently it’s delayed. Just curious.

Way too many variables on how it works.
Garage openers are so varied that it’s hard to get one that fits all.

Also some openers are tracked, so if you dup your neighbor’s he looks like he’s going in twice as often.

Maybe try one from Amazon and see if works out?

Sorry for the confusion. I was actually seeing if I can simply transfer all the homelink programming to a new homelink. For example 2018 rear view mirror settings to 2021 rear view mirror settings.

Doesn’t work that way. You’ll need to program the new homelink setup from scratch, if rolling security codes are needed

1 Like

Damn it. Took forever to program my neighborhood gate. Was so finicky. I borrowed a neighbors clicker, added new batteries and still took at least 20 tries. So even if you physically removed the mirror and help it up to new one, impossible?

If the Homelink is integrated in the mirror, you can move the mirror to another car and it will still work. I moved a mirror from an Audi to a VW GTI and all the Homelink buttons still worked without reprogramming.

That’s awesome to hear. Maybe they’ll let me do that with a new lease swap? I mean if anything I’m upgrading the old car, right? :grin:

Good luck with that one

1 Like

I doubt the dealer is going to swap it for you. First, not all Homelinks are built into the rearview mirror. Second, rearview mirrors are often integrated into the car so they are unlikely to be swappable, unless you’re buying the same make. Third, I doubt a dealer will do the swap and I’m sure they won’t warranty the equipment if you do the swap. I had to take my mirror to an independent car audio shop.