Prevent insurance from branding title

Who needs the same color?

Update: this is very much the case. Upon explaining to him the estimate for damage to my mothers car he said “that’s a lot.” He then stated that he was going to file a claim with my mother’s insurance for the cost of his damage. Seems like we’ll just be going through both insurance companies and working out the details with them. Hopefully we will be able to negotiate a settlement with the insurance.

Thank you everyone for your help, it was much appreciated.

Maybe see what the max figure is insurance will pay on the claim without totaling the car. See if they would just pay you that and you do what you wish with the proceeds.

Does she have an insurance agent, or did she buy coverage from Flo from the TV ads?

I’ve had some stellar insurance agents with decades of experience with the underwriter that they represent, and their knowledge of the system was invaluable.

I stayed with one agent for over 10 years until he retired, even though at various times I could save $10 or $20 a month with a “call center” insurance company.

1 Like

USAA but online/call center.

That’s a fair point. The two insurance agents I’ve worked with in the past have been pretty useless, sadly. I’m sure a good insurance agent would be worth every penny.

It’s best to not let your insurance company pay out any claims. I have a feeling they’ll charge you a 35% premium per claim.

Go to the other guy’s insurance and hash it out with them.

1 Like

Worthy clarification. “Any agent you can find with Google” doesn’t cut it either. Sorry she’s going through this. :frowning:

3 Likes

While not ideal there might not be an option. The guy is kind of a jerk. He wants to go through insurance, which he has the right to do. 35% isn’t fun, but also isn’t the end of the world probably roughly $30/month for her.

I would let your insurance sort it out. It seems kind of obvious that the car with damage to the passenger side doors did not initiate the contact. The only way something like that could happen and it be the fault of the driver with damaged passenger doors would be if they misjudged pulling in next to the other vehicle but that would leave the other car with just the rear corner clipped/ damaged rather than the entire rear end.

My wife was hit (rear ended and then side swiped)on the highway by a short bus school bus. I ended up filing with our insurance and our insurance now says “not at fault accident” and they subrogated the damage cost to the school bus’ insurance company. Our rates did not change.

Hope it comes out ok for you.

1 Like

At this point that is what I’m hoping happens here. Thank you!

Hopefully it goes that way for you. I’ve seen some people get screwed in the subrogation because the claim wasn’t large enough for the insurance company to justify the legal cost to subrogate. So, they just told their customer…sorry…we aren’t going to subrogate this claim. Sorry about your deductible.

For real? What’s the point of insurance you can’t use.

Hopefully it doesn’t come anywhere close to this, but I believe that is what small claims court is for.

Yeah, hopefully you guys don’t get screwed in this situation.

1 Like

“What’s the point of insurance you can’t use” - normally in this scenario you’d file a collision claim with your carrier, they pay your damages and then they can determine based on facts of the incident if there is grounds to subrogate against the other carrier - but you said you didn’t buy collision insurance, so what exactly did you buy that you’re not able to use?

My comment was not about my situation particularly. It was in reference to:

[quote=“valek.jw, post:31, topic:451919”]
I’ve seen some people get screwed in the subrogation because the claim wasn’t large enough for the insurance company to justify the legal cost to subrogate.
[/quote] Those people paid for insurance and their deductible and got screwed.

You are quite right, we do not have collision on the car!

has 4 panels to be refinished / repaired

3 Likes

@1jarretts how did this turn out for your mom? I hope you were able to get a good outcome.

Thanks for checking in.

The guy was a a jerk. When we got an estimate and carefully tried to be kind and inform him of the estimate and see what he wanted to do he said he was going to submit a claim against my mom’s insurance for the damage to his car. So we called my mom’s insurance and they laughed and said ok, but as long as everything we told them was accurate they’re not paying, its on this guy/his insurance.

The other person has Geico, so we submitted a claim with them. At first they said we’re accepting responsibility and will pay for the repairs. Then, at Geico’s request brought the car to a shop that works with Geico, who submits photos of the damage and some estimates to Geico. Geico called and left a voicemail stating that the car is worth approximately $3,700 but the damage would cost $2,6XX to fix, therefore they would be totaling the car. We had some time to carefully word our response and called back saying “you’re not totaling my car” and they agreed to send us a check for the $2,6XX. The first body shop said it was roughly $4,500 worth of damage, so we probably could have gotten a little more from Geico, but this was one phone call and easy. I was going to update this thread when we at the check in hand, which should be any day now.

TLDR. Geico is giving us $2,6XX, my mom will drive the car with the damage until significant mechanical failure. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Glad to hear that you didn’t end up in a worst-case scenario here. :slight_smile: Hopefully the rest will go off without a hitch.

2 Likes

You can likely get 2 doors from a dismantler …cheap fix