Prediction that other EV manufacturers will react to Tesla price cuts

I didn’t think it was that bad, until I sat in it.

2 Likes

Vinfast is Vietnamese not Chinese or Korean I believe.

Holy jeebers. I’m out of the loop. No idea another EV company came to the US. I’ll be interested to see if the fit and finish rival Tesla.

https://www.glassdoor.com/job-listing/client-advisor-vinfast-JV_IC1146989_KO0,14_KE15,22.htm?jl=1008346827717 LOL!!! BA and $25 an hour GTFO

4 Likes

25$ to hawk a car that someone can’t even get for a year? Not a bad side gig

3 Likes

I am skeptical about VinFast as much as I am about Fisker and all the other also-rans but they have one product that is still rare in the US, the 3-row largish SUV EV.

I put a deposit on the VF9 and saw one at the LA Auto Show… it’s decent but overpriced if you figure in the battery lease (or the battery purchase option).

They have some showrooms in SoCal so I’ll check it out again.

The spectrum only has the smaller one.

Never mind.

They need to improve their current promotions, the VF8 lease “special” is bleh.

Cheapest one is:

2023 VF 8 City Edition Eco
$499/month

• 24 Month Lease Special
  • 10,000 Miles per year
  • $3810 Cap Cost Reduction
    • $695 Acquisition Fee + $499 First Payment
  • $5004 Cash Due at Signing*

I hope that includes the battery lease.but even so, $5k DAS $500/mo is still high.

• 300 in Tax + 700 in Registration + 100 +++ I except it would be about $2000 more you need

VinFast has to come in as a bargain brand… undercutting everyone like when Hyundai first started.

Especially with no NA-built IRA credits… they should really offer some old-school Leaf lease programs.

Read the VinFast thread it has :

• Parties for days without seeing the car
  • Being followed around everywhere
  • Private Island
  • A car that is not ready for primetime
  • Add in a hairless cat and we have a ‘problem Mr Bond’.
5 Likes

I surely hope it isn’t any worse. :smile:

I remember reading about this in the Jalopnik articles… VINFAST seems to be preoccupied with perception and they’re just throwing money at everything. It really is painting a turd gold. They’re literally dressing up crap. The cars are insanely expensive when you consider what they’re competing against and where the quality is. I’d say they’re just as bad as when Hyundai first started out (comparatively).

5 Likes

My prediction is that traditional ICE cars are going to get hit hard by the Tesla price cuts. So many people I know are picking up Tesla’s after the price cut.

At a time where others are selling at or above MSRP I think Tesla’s are going to pick up a lot of market share and ALL other cars are going to have to lower prices in the second half of the year.

A Model 3 RWD is about 35.6k in NJ after rebates and no sales tax. That’s almost Corolla money.

4 Likes

Didn’t seem to bother him “punting”’ $45B on Twitter.

1 Like

Yet inventory still creeping up after initial drop when cuts were announced…:

You should pick one up and be part of the solution. :wink:

1 Like

2 Likes

Blanket response as this has been posted multiple times:

I’m far from a Tesla or Musk fanboy. Never owned a Tesla, never really cared much about Musk. My guess is anyone who makes those statements wants to make this political. IMO, those people have their eye off the ball and are missing the crux of my argument.

Why would you cut costs if you don’t have to? It’s illogical. Teslas goal( as is any business) is to make as much money as possible.

These margins have rapidly compressed since the price cuts. If you can make something for 20k and sell it for 40k that’s a great business. If you can sell it for 25k it’s less great of a business.

There is no way they are going to make up for the margin losses on volume and this is pretty much an inherently losing position. You can only sell so many cars.