Prediction that other EV manufacturers will react to Tesla price cuts

By struggling to meet demand, you mean not being efficient in scaling up EV production.

My local Mercedes dealers can’t give EQ models away. Same goes for my local Audi dealerships, Etron models a plenty.

1 Like

Looks like the whole sector saw a red day after Tesla’s price cuts. GM and Ford in particular took it on the chin, Ford down over 5% on the day(closing in on -50% on 1Y chart). Funny enough, looks like Tesla since beginning of year has had biggest return…+13%.

It will be interesting to see what these price cuts in combination with the tax credits do for demand. I know some potential buyers were waiting and hopeful for price cuts in 2023, along with access to tax credits. Don’t think many expected Tesla to drop the amount they did, to get most models under the IRS msrp thresholds.

Healthcare was messed up b/f VC got involved…

1 Like

you can thank teddy rosevelt and the american medical association for that one.

leasehackrs watching their portfolios like:

the empire strikes back at at walker GIF by Star Wars

Sinking Season 4 GIF by The Office

2 Likes

I’m not sure what circles you follow, but no, this was never a thing, and if it was, certainly not on the scale of “if orange man wins I’m moving to canada!!”

Mods getting ready to back the landfill dumptruck up.

Over It Reaction GIF by filmeditor

6 Likes

I don’t want to be that guy, but let’s try to stay on topic. No need to bring up politics or any other unrelated subject.

Time will tell, but Tesla’s price cuts were inevitable with new market entrants - that’s why they call it “first-mover” advantage. But that advantage usually doesn’t last forever.

Same is true of their Supercharger network, which still gives Tesla a nice competitive advantage, but how much longer will that remain? As mentioned, billions of federal dollar are being used to build a nationwide charging network. Atop that VW had to invest ~2B to electrify North American as part of their diesel fuel settlement. But you’re correct – right now the CCS network is relatively abysmal.

Still don’t see how Tesla will compete with the big boys on price or volume. The competition isn’t going to be snuffed out long term – BEVs are the future. Maybe Tesla gets acquired in the next few years as its market cap plummets.

Anyone claiming Tesla is going away to get beaten out by legacy OEMs must not be paying attention.

They outsell, outperform, and outprice anyone else in the space. Them taking massive cuts in a time when every other OEM is already underwater on their EVs is clearly a move to try and force them out of the space.

Oh and for the market cap crowd……still worth $350B I’m not sure they are going to struggle for cash anytime in the near future.

2 Likes

When you say every OEM is underwater are we talking accounting profit or cash flow profit? I could be 100% wrong, but what I believe is happening OEMs are amortizing all the R&D cost that went into developing the technology to a still small volume of EVs. Otherwise I have hard time believing that Mercedes is losing money on a 100K EV.

Not sure about acquisitions, but the supercharger network remains its biggest advantage.

I just don’t think the other infrastructure systems being built are all that competitive. I’m always seeing reviewers and reading articles about people struggling to find working chargers to quick charge their cars. It’s not uncommon to find two or three chargers of four not working, apparently. There’s definitely lots of work to be done on infrastructure.

I’m still holding out on BeV being the future. I think it’s a knee jerk reaction to a problem set that requires a better sustaining solution.

As far as cars go though, Tesla cars aren’t really all that impressive. They’re literally just batteries and motor. Interior and exterior design is dated and cheap.

Outside of Tesla…The infrastructure is TERRIBLE. Its totally unreliable.

I imagine this is what it was like for folks who could get hay for the horses on every corner back in the day, but could not find a gasoline pump for miles and miles… and when they found the pump, there was no attendant there to fill up their glass jug :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And eventually what happened? Immense gas station proliferation and nobody gave it another thought.

There’s no doubt this is what will happen with BEVs, and as better battery chemistries come to market, including solid state batteries, and then charging stations will need to be visited less often, and with quicker recharges when you do.

Sorry, anyone who isn’t convinced that BEVs are the future isn’t paying attention. All the market forces, regulations, public and private investments and emergent technologies are clearly pointed in this direction.

1 Like

:100:

It just depends on when is the “right” time
to adopt and not still be going into town on a horse🐴

The largest CCS network in US is EA, they are a joke and not getting any better. They let old out-of-service units sit for months on end, because new units where being developed. They have now been installing those new 350kw units co-developed with BTC. They have proven to be more unreliable in cold weather. Also have been bricking vehicles by delivery more power than vehicles asking for.

2 Likes

I’m not gonna get excited about the Tesla price cuts. BMW and many other makes were at the dealer level adding mark ups. Some of these markups were between $5,000 to $25,000. Some folks buying Kia, Honda, and Toyota vehicles may still be paying over MSRP.

Anyone who bought a vehicle with any type of markup within the last six months could likely buy that same car today without the mark-up and in some cases now below MSRP. And they are now kicking themselves in the same way many people who bought Tesla’s during the last 12 months are now kicking themselves.

Inflation takes no prisoners.

2 Likes

I am wondering how much of the cuts had to do with just trying to crank as many of these out the door as they can during the tax credit push. The prices now (even with the cut), are not as cheap as they were in 2021 when I bought my M3 and MY. They had raised the prices significantly in 2021 and 2022. This is just bringing them back in line with where they were.

In early 2021 I purchased a M3 RWD Base for $38k MSRP. A MY 7 seater RWD Base for $42k. Today a M3 RWD Base is $44k MSRP and a MY 7 seater (Only available in a Long Range AWD) is $57k.

M3 is $6k more today (after huge price cut).
MY is $13k more today (after huge price cut).

2 Likes

The term malicious compliance comes to mind.

The fact is, Tesla has the margins to turn out the lights on the competition if they feel threatened.

Realistically, IRA was written in a way to reduce credits paid out on purchases due to income limits and was really just a vehicle to give revenue collectors more funding to come after those $600.01 Venmo and Cashapp transactions for their pound of flesh.

Teslas will never lease well, but Elon did us a huge favor. Hopefully we’ll start seeing some large lease incentives for EVs again with some $6k Bolt onepays

5 Likes

That is not a fact at all.

7 Likes