PPF Worth It or a Waste?

The market on used 7 series is an incredibly good indicator of the value an X7 will have in 5+ years. This is not an M car nor an Alpina and will most likely be worth under 50k when OP goes to sell it. Nobody buying a 5 year old bmw is turning their nose up over PPF.

1 Like

But unless it’s a super valuable exotic, does the PPF actually protect the value of the car? Let’s say this specific car has massive amounts of rock chips when resold as a used car in the future - it doesn’t add value having the PPF there. Let’s be honest, if this thing depreciates anywhere close to what the previous 760 sedans have seen (probably less as an SUV), but it will tank in prices. If Bentaygas tank in value, these will too.

To be somewhere in the middle here I would say it will mildly increase value likely. Maybe someone pays a grand or two more because your paint looks better than they otherwise would, no idea.

Still a poor ROI and wouldn’t do unless you are super anal and it will make you hate the car to have rock chips.

Like putting a very fancy kitchen with upscale appliances in relatively normal house. You aren’t gonna get the money back you put in, maybe worth it to you personally if you gotta have it. But don’t kid yourself thinking you’re gonna get it back.

Most shops here in northern Nevada will do the full suv frontal ppf under 1.5k. All depends where you live. I think someone could easily demand an extra grand or two or even more for what the car is going to be worth in 5 some years because how good the car exterior looks like.

End of the day buying new (non leasing) is always going to be considered as a depreciation asset, some would say that buying a new car might be the worst financial decision ever.

For me, if you are buying and keeping the car for a long time then I think it’s absolutely fine to do the front hood of the car if you care about the look of the car. I like my car to look nice. I wash my car regularly, 2-3 times a month.

With all that said, it’s up to OP and how he plans to maintain his car, if he does lots of highway driving or travel a lot then I think applying ppf is absolutely reasonable.

From the last reply from the OP it appears has decided to forgo full car matte ppf.

1 Like

Does everyone lamenting this deal also not tint their windows or ever get their car detailed?

Personally I don’t care about matte looks but bumper PPF and ceramic is a no brainer on anything I’m driving.

Gas + Insurance + >$80k car = I want it to look good.

If you’re doing 1 pay Bolt leases (I had a $79/mo Volt that I loved) then sure, don’t worry about it.

But, if the car is something that already is unreasonable by any normal standard (everything over $80k is, and an X7 M60i over $100k definitely is), then do whatever makes you happy.

2 Likes

These are all just theories that don’t actually hold up in the real world.

2 Likes

For starters a regular x7 is an in-line 6, the X7 M60i has twin power V8.
So the value of the M60i would be much higher than a standard 40i. BMW is not going to be making bunch of M60i when they are trying to go EV. Financially as a company it wouldn’t make too much sense since EPA is getting stricter every year.

All these detail products really personify the phrase, “beauty lay in the hands of the beer holder”
-Homer Simpson circa 1990s

Realistically, ceramic coatings are a waste of $$$. Its great to have a chemical layer that prevents binding of contaminants so you don’t have to wash your car as often, but you are still going to pay $1k at the bare mini for a decent outfit to 1 step polish and apply a multi year coating.

The best thing to do if you really are all about protection, is garage your ride, wash it regularly, and buy PPF from the factory. Lexus for instance will PPF the major pain points on you ride at port for $500 for their CUV/SUV lineup. Quoted at a decent PPF outfit, $2500 1 step polish, and ceramic the ppf…

Got a source on this? As long as there’s demand BMW will churn out as many as needed of these. Real example of limited production is 50th Anniversary Jahre M3s, even though it’s only differentiated by an appearance package. They won’t hold their values any better either in the next 3-5 years.

exotic cars with repainted panels take a decent hit in value. PPF is just small insurance to avoid frontal rock chips from canyon driving/tracking etc.

There is enough non repainted cars with PPF that make it easy to pass on ones with resprayed panels.

You may want to re-read my post. I already excluded exotics, which do take a hit to resale when panels are resprayed. My point still stands that an x7, doesn’t matter i40, 50, or 60, isn’t losing value because it doesn’t have PPF.

1 Like

I have it on my low profile 911 and M550XI.
I do not have it on my hi profile x5 m50. I think it’s a waste. Also wrapping the entire vehicle is a waste unless you have a super car. In my opinion.
If you are nervous wast less than half the $ buying tire, rim, body chip. And it does overkill with windshield from Allstate.

I shopped local Xpel installers for my 22 M240 in Black Sapphire metallic. Most quotes were anywhere from 6-8k.

Then I found an authorized Xpel installer willing to do my car for 3.7k in Stealth as he had many years working as a lead installer and even training others for another big shop but was just starting out on his own.

Will I ever recoup the 3.7k? No. But my car is now transformed, paint protected, looks gorgeous and so freaking easy to keep clean.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cf-LKbgAFup/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

3 Likes

When I sold this in December, 2019, I got a surprising amount of interest and sold it more than what I was asking which was more than private party retail the internet was saying. Everyone who came to see asked me if I had the front resprayed. It was a clearbra and seemed to be a differentiator when they were looking at mine compared to others. It was also nice as I’m anal about rock chips and it did have a small dent in the hood but no chip. However, I had no clue it was this expensive.

I bought this used which is why it has the license plate holes from being an Ohio car.

1 Like

Booooo Ohio, go Penn State.

1 Like

One thing not mentioned often about getting full PPF is the lack of swirls from washing due to the self healing properties of the film. For this reason alone I did full wraps on two of my vehicles.

Still, I wouldn’t put an inch of PPF on a leased vehicle. I would do front clip for a family hauler, but if wrapping the whole car isn’t price prohibitive (shop around) then I’d do full car just so I don’t have to deal with swirls, and yes even hand washing with two bucket method swirls up paint, just takes longer.

As for price, I got quotes from several XPEL authorized installers for full PPF on a new Lexus IS sedan and they ranged from $7k - $10k. Ended up getting it done for $4200.

2 Likes

As an update, my car is awaiting carrier shipment. No word if the current stop sale on X7s is affecting my build, but it likely is.

Either way, while I initially booked an appointment for the XPEL Stealth wrap, I decided not to go through with it. I think if I was getting something super high end like a G63, Urus, Cullinan, etc., maybe it makes sense, but I don’t think it does here.

Also, and this added to my decision to skip as well, but my authorized watch dealer told me he’s got a Rolex Pepsi coming my way likely just before Xmas, so I think my funds are better served putting towards that.

Appreciate everyone’s input here!

1 Like

The Rolex will definitely hold its value better than the XPEL Stealth Wrap & the BMW.

Especially if he adds Xpel ppf to the rolex. :clown_face:

2 Likes

Just going to ceramic coat that one!