Possible Calc error

You mean when you choose to pay tax based on the monthly payment? Dealer fees are taxed upfront in that case as well.

1 Like

We do want to confirm with the community regarding how MF is treated in the case of MSD. Is it:

1. No additional MSD is possible if additional MSD would reduce the MF to negative, OR
  2. The MF would just drop to 0.0001once additional MSD would reduce the MF to negative?

Any industry insights? @industry_folks

So with toyota for example MSD reduces by .00008. Example if MF is .00071 most you could do is 8 MSD and rate would be .00007 because 9 would work out to be negative.

One pay is a little different. .001 reduction but In the case if .00071 the rate should be negative but tfs would allow it drop to .00001.

3 Likes

So I am a buyer not @industry_folks and initially mentioned this since I was playing with some Audi numbers. Instinct was to just throw 10 in since its the max, which showed the MF as .00001. But, then I played around to see what would happen to the figures if I did less and found in my one example 7 and still brought the MF down to the .00001.

So yes the calc will not go below .00001 but it will still ADD the extra MSD’s beyond the allowable amount to the calc totals under “MSD Payment”. This is what primarily needs to be corrected. Just like the calc won’t go below .00001 in its calculation, it also shouldn’t add in the balance of the security deposits.

Not sure how the calc is constructed but ideally the dropdown limit should be based on the min MF limit. Thus, in my instance you would only see up to 7 MSD with a MF entered of .00034. The note below the dropdown, which currently says “Max. MSD 10” should add a line below that says something like "Note: Actual MAX = X. MF min .00001’

Just a buyer not industry but verifying.

Does it mean that the MAX MSD in your example stops at 4? Or will Toyota allow 5 but just caps out at a max .00001 MF rate, even though a 5th “technically” put the MF negative? Thus, a buyer is putting up more $$ for that 5th MF relative to the normal value for each normal MSD drop (.00008). Hope that made sense.

Guess @Cody_Carter answered before I posted.

So… Is this the case with others that accept MSD’s as well? Like Audi, BMW, etc? Or… will they allow you to give that next MSD that technically would have dropped the MF to negative but would just stop out at a MAX .00001 Rate?

BMW’s rate is high enough, you’ll probably never get low enough for it to get to .00001 with max MSDs to ever worry about it. At least over the past several years, it hasn’t been below .00120.

2 Likes

Doc isn’t taxed in PA, but bank fee is. This will be YMMV based on state, obviously. Idk if it’s worth it to build a table based on how each state handles it to calc it correctly.

Maybe add a checkbox like u do under Acquisition fee that says “taxable” for the dealer fees and govt fee’s boxes. If any unchecked then no sales tax is calculated with those fields and if checked it does. This provides the most flexibility I would think.

I would add these add-ons to Dealer Fees (if taxed) or Government Fees (if not taxed), both of which are not capitalized. These are good items to add to our explanatory notes!

1 Like

The calculator now taxes Dealer Fees but not Government Fees. We can separate taxable and non-taxable fees that way with a better explanatory note. Each state taxes and even calls these fees differently, though they work similarly in principle. It would create more confusions with more configurations. We prefer to keep the calculator simpler and cleaner.

That was kind of my point, although maybe could’ve been more eloquent in my reply. It will be damn near impossible to catch every little nuance with fee structures, and at some point, one needs to realize this isn’t desking software and merely a general guide.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is related, but really having trouble getting my spreadsheet to line up to the LH calc. Last time (2016) it matched perfectly, but now I seem to be off by over $60 (17%) compared to the Calculator. Do you guys have a template somewhere, or mind checking where I’m going wrong?

$928 in drive offs via the calc, about $1700 worth in your spreadsheet (all the fees plus first month plus tax on the rebate)

And your sales tax rate is different in the two, so it should be $406 on your calc if it’s the same as the leasehackr calc you’re showing vs $436.

$30*35= $1050. Almost the difference in drive offs.

The zero drive-off bug has been fixed. Thanks @imt again for letting us know.

We added text warning on the calculator when the adjusted MF falls below 0.00001. Thank you all for making this calculator a better resource for the community!

2 Likes

Ah, forgot to check “Pay acquisition fee up front” now it matches. Thanks.