Porsche Macan - Interesting convo with the dealership

People who buy Porsche usually have their shit together. They are not to be “sold” on a car. People who are ready to spend $6-1000/month on a car usually has an idea of what they want to spend.

2 Likes

Giving a quote beforehand is one thing. To throw an arbitrary number out there to filter out a potential customer is another. A salesperson’s job should be to try to convince someone in front of him/her that they are getting a good value.

So then when the OP was ready for the test drive, the salesman should have treated him as someone who “has his shit together”.

2 Likes

A potential customer who is willing to spend BMW lease money was never a “potential” customer

9 Likes

If you’re a Porsche salesman you play hard to get, it keeps the exclusivity mystique going.

That being said I had a good experience when I was thinking of moving from my Boxster S to a new 718 S 6MT. Great salesman, not a great sounding engine so I passed.

Porsche knows that none of their cars are about good value and they don’t market them as such.

So then Porsche salespeople should not be considered salespeople all. They should just be order-takers, or better yet, cashiers, since their customers who have their shit together are there ready to buy.

2 Likes

I think it’s 50/50 between people who can afford it and don’t care too much about the cost compared to other vehicles and people who want to look like “the shit” at any cost.

1 Like

And I don’t mind either. Cause both are ready to spend that money.

1 Like

So what you are saying is that it is mutually exclusive. A BMW customer cannot potentially be a Porsche customer.

People who are getting Porsche’s know what they want already.

3 Likes

No, what I’m saying is if you are looking to spend $5-600/month, Porsche is not the brand for you. Go to BMW. I’ll refer you to my friend there. I’ll make sure you are well taken care of :+1:

Sorry everyone, I didn’t mean to arouse all the talk.

My budget is $1000/mo for a car, but just because it’s within my budget doesn’t mean I’m willing to pay more for a same product. Goes for everything.

If you can get a $200 espresso machine for $100 on sale, I would rather pay $100 even if I can afford a $200 machine.

I just didn’t like how the salesperson started the price at 900 even before me coming in. That’s all I wanted to say.

3 Likes

I’d say if you’re looking to lease, Porsche isn’t the brand for you. Lot’s of overlap in the BMW and Porsche price range for purchase, even including discounting.

Porsche buyers who have their shit together are probably smart enough not to lease. :sweat_smile:

People, hear me out. Not every brand is for every one. I don’t give a fuck about Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Rolex etc. (Fill in any luxury brand).

And none of these brands care that I am not willing to spend money on them. I am not their customer and they never had any intention to get me as a customer. I’m sure their products are great but I find no value on it.

2 Likes

BMW buyers, or at least a lot of them are buying the badge, oh I’m a pretend baller, I can lease this $60k car and I’ve arrived, I’m special. When an Porsche customer arrived a long time ago and just strokes a check for a 911 GT3 that he special ordered to take out on the track.

I think that sums it up somewhat

(I have some insight here, I worked at a dealership group that had BMW and tried to slow walk Porsche on building a facility etc and actually got sued by Porsche and had the franchise yanked… They were operating Porsche in a very sub standard facility…Lol, these owners were real dip*hits, they literally could have had a gold mine if they followed through, including an Audi franchise)

5 Likes

Most Porsche clients lease for business purposes and etc. They are not thinking about the $2000 you save if you buy. They don’t usually care about that $2000

1 Like

If you consider BMW and Porsche the same and expect them to lease the same, you are wrong. The Porsche and BMW equivalents will lease nowhere near each other.

I am aware of this from the research. But I expected mid-high 700’s vs 900’s.

I think pretty much all of us who have something other than a base Ford Fiesta or the like fall into this category. :grin:. That is really all the car 90% of us need 90% of the time.