Polestar Tune Question

I stand corrected. On the Racechips website, for the XC60 T5 engines are compatible. But for the XC90, both the T5 and T6 engines are compatible.

Even though the piggyback apparently doesn’t work for an XC60 T5 engine, but works for the XC90 T5, I think you can use it for the XC60 T5 since the T5 is shared across all of the SPA lineup. But don’t quote me on this and if you are pursuing this piggyback option, check with them.

Also - in regards to manufacturer warranty. It’s dicey. It’s a physical chip which modifies readings and data sent into the ECU. Yes, it would break your warranty but only if they found out about it. You could probably unplug it and not have an issue with it unless you have an engine issue where the service technician is looking at your ECU data. Even then, the tech might not care about it. Of course, it’s a risk you have to be willing to take.

Unrelated - does anyone know how many lbs of boost these T5 or T6 engines are programmed from the factory? I have to feel like they have high compression ratios. The other day I was mildly under throttle with windows rolled down, and the turbo WHOOOSH was very very apparent.

The car must leave the factory or the port with it.

Most items with a * on the build can be installed at Port, making it residualize. Navigation is another example.

Once it leaves the port it’s a hard cost.

1 Like

Also, think this was brought up in another thread… The Polestar badge is a different color depending on factory-installed or dealer-installed…

Do you really want people to see that you added it after… judgement! /s

Edit: I found a really deep discount for you

That’s not true. The badge changed. It doesn’t matter if you got Polestar from the factory or added it afterwards, they are all white now.

3 Likes

$13 is a hell of a price for Polestar, the badge adds the power right? haha

1 Like

SwedeSpeed is a better resource for such things:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?601249-Accessories-Coupon&highlight=accessory+coupon

As someone who had a GTI and a WRX before this, I’m as familiar with chipping as the average Internet troll. Obviously all those Stage I software tunes that can be rolled-back are what they are, and a couple brands actually have checksums on your ECU to ensure it hasn’t been tampered with (so chipping is now as much refreshing the ECU as it is being able to flash it back). Feel free to peruse your favorite brand’s message board about tunes that caused problems and were not covered under warranty.

Volvo owns Polestar, it’s a first-party Stage I tune, it and any side effects are covered under Volvo warranty. It allegedly has no impact on gas mileage, just torque and HP (I posted the details in an older on thread on this).

Is that the same thread where I fact-checked as false?

It’s like putting a sticker on a Civic: the decal adds 30HP

That’s kind of like this gem (Scarlett wouldn’t let me get a better picture).

1 Like

Discount is really good on a new car. Nice job with the incentives stack.

1 Like

I heard painting your calipers red adds an extra 50 HP as well. Can anyone confirm?

1 Like

Not sure if your comment was specific to VCFS, as other captives do make exceptions to what’s on the Monroney.

It’s a Volvo thread so I was answering the question related to VCFS yes.

Every brand I’ve leased or worked with required it to be on the Monroney to be residualized. Some brands can generate a new Monroney at the port for Port-Installed Options, which still meets the mark here.

But remind me, is this the BMW wheel nonsense? Who allows you to residualize (not just capitalize) add-ons?

I think Toyota allows for some dealer installed accessories

1 Like

Quick search (naturally @RVguy)

It sounds like a short list of things I would otherwise expect to be PIO, just handled by the dealer. I’m surprised TFS is that trusting of their dealers, most brands aren’t.

Don’t want to go too far off topic but off the top of my head can think of at least 5 captives that have/had various exceptions…

Polestar is a waste of money, just put the car in Dynamic mode. Close enough.

Or buy an M or S or AMG truck.

2 Likes

It’s not a bad deal if residualized. Gaining 20hp in the mid rev range is noticeable.

It certainly won’t make you think you’re in a M car, but it’s nowhere near the cost of that upgrade.

1 Like

I’ve driven Polestar vs non-Polestar T6s back to back and I noticed a difference in both throttle response and handling. Now that could have been the placebo effect based on the pretty badge on the back…but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I’m good with paying $1,300 for a placebo effect that makes me enjoy my car more.

Also, I have strong suspicion I wouldn’t be able to touch an M, S or AMG truck at $400 a month or even 2X that in most cases…so I’m satisfied.

1 Like

Gaining 30 Nm in torque is what matters, not hp

2 Likes

Sounds like the placebo effect. Polestar tune doesn’t affect suspension, steering geometry, car weight, unsprung weight, vehicle rigidity; not sure how it can improve handling.

There may be some confirmation bias effect going on. You know the car is tuned so when you drive it you think it’s better than non-tuned. In the 20 hp to 30 hp range, you would need very fine instrumentation to tell and measure the difference.

I do believe the tune can improve certain engine performance parameters such as passing speeds between 30 and 50 mph. Just depends on the dyno graphs and if the torque/hp graphs are significantly altered.

2 Likes

Horsepower across the usable rev range (i.e. area under the power curve) is what matters. Torque on it’s own is meaningless since you can essentially get whatever wheel torque you want via gearing. When people look at torque in engine ratings, it’s usually in the context of higher horsepower across the rev range rather than peak horsepower.