Picked up today - 2018 Porsche Macan Sport Edition Demo

I had a lot of fun reading that article. I think it put a lot in perspective. The Q5 is a great little crossover, but I think the Macan is on a different level. The transmission, suspension, steering, and overall driving feel is just different. Plus it’s much lower than a Q5. Macans are not terribly large cars.

The current Macan shares platform with the previous SQ5 (Q5). They do not share engine.

Can you source this information? I do believe the Macan is on the outgoing B8 platform since we are still technically in the Macan’s architectural generation, but the 2.0l engine in both the Macan and Q5 have the same bore, stroke, power output, torque, displacement, etc. It would be strange that Porsche sourced an engine from elsewhere that WASN’T the 2.0T TFSI engine in the Q5.

Base Macan is same engine as q5.

I have a hard time believing someone in search of a “drivers car” settles on a base Macan. Mostly moms and such driving them because it’s the cheapest way to get the Porsche badge.

But, this is probably the single best deal on any Porsche we’ve seen here.

How do you confirm data such as this?

I presume you’re privy to all Macan base model registrations and then are able to determine that they are mostly females?

Or is this just a gross generalization that was pulled from the sky?

2 Likes

The Macan is based on the previous-gen MLB platform, just as the first Q5 was. The “new” Q5 uses a modified version of the MLB platform, so the “new” Q5 version isn’t that mechnically different from the “old” one, either.

I have little doubt Porsche spent a considerably amount of time massaging the platform so that it would feel distinctly different from the Q5, just as I’m sure a Panamera and Continental GT probably feel very different from each other, as well… I imagine VAG probably does a much better job of making cars built on similar platforms feel distinct than does any other car manufacturer… (although I haven’t been lucky enough to drive the expensive ones, so I wouldn’t know!)

Who’s driving these base macans? Enthusiasts ? It’s the cheapest way into a Porsche.

Your data points are anecdotal, is the point made.

It’s your personal opinion that enthusiasts would only drive the S.

The article I posted above makes a case for enthusiasts to get save their money and get the S, despite being slower.

1 Like

The article gave it a “C” as an enthusiast car and “A” as a daily driver…

Okay. Still made a case for folks to gravitate towards the base model instead of the S.

Hi - can you share the details on how leasing a Porsche demo works in terms of MF / residual calculation? Looks like MF is the same as new. How does mileage adjustment work?

You’re right. I wasn’t even thinking about the base Macan as I think that car shouldn’t exist.

Thank the lord you’re not making decisions over at Porsche!

The driving dynamics of the car are not very different from Base to S to Turbo, as a matter of fact, many reviewers have comments that the handling is a bit better on the base due to the lighter engine up front. Throw a quick and safe tune on a Base to get you to 300hp and now you’ve got a plenty fast car at a reasonable price with a lot of options, vs having a base model S for more money.

1 Like

Or lease a $60k 350hp sq5 for less than an ‘18 base Macan (which is now an outdated generation). All while not risking your warranty or violating the lease contract to squeeze out the extra hp.

a nicely equipped SQ5 for under $650/mo is a unicorn deal, only one I’ve seen in the guy who posted one last week. That being said, the Porsche will still handle better and be an overall better package. No risk to the warranty, Porsche dealers sell Cobb now at the dealership.

A. Your first point about unicorn deals is 100% false. There are multiple deals here under that threshold.
B. A base ‘18 Macan, which is not a current generation MY, being a better overall package and value than an sq5 is a huge stretch. Even if the Porsche handles better, the sq5 has a clear advantage in powertrain, luxury and tech.
C. How much is a Porsche dealer selling a tune for? That cost certainly isn’t residualized.

You got a great deal on a Macan Sport Edition, best I’ve seen by a long shot. But even at that great price it’s about the same price point as the SQ5 P+ deals we’ve seen here for 6+ months.

Not that it really matters as you got a great deal so enjoy what you have.

1 Like

I’m assuming you mean $650/mo with zero DAS. That guy’s deal was 15% discount before incentives. I just got offered 15% with incentives. My region incentive is less than his. This was after about 10 mins conversation. I’m following up this week. I’m sure I can get the same deal pretty easily.

You got the absolute best deal we’ve seen here on any Porsche, and if you love the car, that’s all that matters.

The base Macan just happens to be a very polarizing vehicle as there are some people (myself included) whom seriously question the value proposition of the car. It’s not a knock against you at all.

1 Like