Pet Insurance Hackr

Check with the local humane society / animal shelter…they typically run a good bit less or are usually in a position to direct you to the most cost effective provider.

Have/had Lemonade. The customer service has been responsive and the rates were great for the first few years. Have had zero insurance charges over the past 2-3 years (non before either). The newly calculated annual premium posted this month and is double what it was. The dog isnt old either (he’s 5)…Will be looking for something new as well

Based on my limited reserach this is what I found. Of course your rate will vary by species, breed, age and location. I checked the reviews and BBB and after reading the negative reviews it kinda scares me to get the wrong pet insurance.

This is for 1 kitten, 10 months old in So Cal:

Trupanion - most expensive but once you hit your deductible (per ailment) it’s for the lifetime of the pet or insurance coverage not annually.
Healthy Paws - also pretty pricey but has great coverage and no caps.
Pets Best - same underwriter as Trupanion but has more competitive rates and no caps.
Lemonade - More affordable but everything is mostly app based and has caps.

As some have mentioned, must consider each policies cool off period which is usually 7-14 days and up to 6 months for ligament/bone problems. Mostly all do not cover pre-existing conditions. Each carrier will have their own policy clause on “what is determined as pre-existing condition.”

Can have a la carte add on services in addition to main pet insurance such as wellness, annual check up, physical therapy, dental, etc. Overall, it can add up. If you pay the premium in full for the year, it saves you a couple of bucks than paying monthly.

1 Like

If your city works with ASPCA, they have more affordable rates on neutering/spaying. You can also check with the humane society if they are not booked. Also check the nonprofit/rescue resources in your region.

Spaying/neutering programs should be subsidized to control the pet population. I remember back in the days you can book an appointment with the humane society for basic shots and spaying/neutering. Because of covid some of those resources or funding was halted and not enough vets or technicians to perform adequately.

1 Like

If you’re in cali, I’ll note that I use Pets Best like I mentioned but we’re also signed up with Modern Animal.

It’s a flat fee per year, $129, and that’s the only visit fee you have. Of course, you pay for services and treatments but you can go see a vet for an hour everyday for no extra charge. They also have an app with 24/7 “nurse” access to chat with. (It’s pretty popular so getting an appointment is rather difficult, so having a bulldog we just book random appointments every few weeks and just cancel)