Personalized plates and lease return

I was wondering how do I go about keeping my personalized plates when I turn in my lease? I’m in CA. Do I just remove plates and turn in car without them? I already received notice to renew registration but I am obviously not going to do that since turning car in.

Also how do I go about putting those plates on a new lease? Do I let dealer know or do I wait to get regular plates and then take those to DMV? Is there a fee I need to pay in case I turn in my current lease and don’t lease another car right away ?

1 Like
  • Pick up your plates after you turn your car in. Call your finance company and ask for the plate release letter, then take it to DMV to put on the new car.
  • Dealer will put (or send paperwork for) new plates on your new car. After you get them, call your finance company and ask for the power of attorney letter to use custom plates, then take it to DMV to put on the new car.
1 Like

i thought in CA you cannot have personalized plates on a lease vehicle ?

1 Like

Wow, wasnt aware of this possibility… Can a leased vehicle in NJ have a personalized plate ?

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/PersonalizedPlates.htm

1 Like

I didn’t have a problem when I went to DMV, on the registration it has my name and also mentions Toyota financial as the lse trust or something like that

It’s because Toyota technically owns your plates.

Idk about that, I just ordered custom plates in California and it went through fine…

1 Like

I’m having a hard time visualizing this…so I would turn in my leased bmw into the dealership (california) at the end, and THEN call up BMWFA for a plate release letter? And then get this letter and take it to the DMV to put on the new car…but at what point do I get to unscrew my vanity plates off the turned in vehicle?

Yes

Yes

At the dealership when turning your car in. They take off the plates and hand them to you

1 Like

I was at the DMV the other day and she didn’t mention anything about the letter, just to remove them and take it to them for storage

How do i get custom plates for a leased vehicle in California???

Never had any problems. In CA. If you return the car to the dealer you are getting the car from just have them reassign to the new car. If not, remove the plates before turning the vehicle in and make sure to send the DMV form with one year special plates fee and indicate the vehicle the plates were removed from and mark “retain for future use” section.

You own the plates so you can put them on any vehicle you lease or own.

What do you do with normal (non-personalized) plates on a lease return in CA?

Asking for myself for next week…

1 Like

Just leave it on the car.

I got them for my car and was 4 days late on my payment so they took it…and my plates. I WANT THEM BACK!!!