Patriot Act - Lexus dealer in FL

Dealers are required to verify identity. Has to do with money laundering, terrorism stuff, bla bla bla. They aren’t going to sell a $50k car for cash to some guy off the street without knowing who he is. This kyc part is legit as annoying as it is.

3 Likes

Well if you ‘google it’ there are articles about how ‘illegal it is’ but no one mentions that you can’t force a dealer to sell you a car

If youre worried about the running your credit, make sure to freeze it

7 Likes

Fair enough, at the same time, dealers are required to make sure any cash transaction over 10k submits an 8300. In Florida I’m not personally shocked this would happen.

On the Lexus front, IDK if they’d care.

1 Like

Maybe using Social Security to run a OFAC report

5 Likes

Not going to hire a lawyer for such stuff. Already have enough things in life. I would rather go buy from a different Lexus dealership. I might have to wait with other dealership. Only thing was that they had the model in stock for delivery.

Every dealer should do this for an OFAc check. They can run it without SSN but it is easier with.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s what I was initially talking about.

Only you can decide if the action was based on ignorance or malice, but the bar is really low for permissible purpose (as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act) for a business to access your credit file.

Also, credit inquiries are virtually meaningless, and inquiries of the same type (in this case, auto financing) within a reasonable amount of time are scored as one by the FICO algorithms anyway.

1 Like

Whens the last time you bought a new car?

1 Like

This is normal. It would be unusual if they didn’t and it’s a big no no if dealers have not in the past.

1 Like

LOL welcome to FL.

Its an old trick, to see if they can get any financing deal lined up for you to pad the back end.

Dealer does not need this period, especially since they wont give it in writing. Its probably worked in the past for most unsuspecting customers, cause how many really ask questions when buying a new shiny toy.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/car-dealership-credit-report-scams-and-the-patriot-act.html

identity baller GIF by Trulioo

2 Likes

Standard practice. We also run your name against known list of exporters.

1 Like

@IAC - do they need SSN to check it?

As a “consumer” you “initiated” a legitimate “business transaction,” and that’s all that’s really required.

Honestly, this isn’t worth another minute of your time. You’re chasing nothing here. :slight_smile:

If you truly think they’re dishonest, then go with your instinct and simply take your business somewhere else.

1 Like

I agree. I will buy from other dealership, and might have to wait few months or so to get the right model that I need, but that is okay.

Thank you everyone!

I would like to close this thread. At this point, no further discussion is needed.

Thank you everyone for their time and insight.

2 Likes

Closed per OP request

Update from OP 01AUG2022: “Next day I received a call from the dealership ( which I was not expecting ) to resolve the matter. They agreed to sell me the car without SSN. Anyway, they delivered the car yesterday and delivery experience was great.”