"Passenger Restraint System Malfunction warning on my 530e

On Saturday I will be taking my 530e into the dealer for the second time. First time was less than a month ago. When I’m driving I will intermittently get a warning on the screen saying “passenger restraint system malfunction” and that I should carefully drive it to the nearest dealer.

I researched online and it looks like there is a sensor that can get wet or a connection that comes loose?

On my first visit the dealer told me that the area had gotten wet, which is odd because I’ve never spilled anything in the car etc… I rarely even have passengers in the car with me as this vehicle is 95% commute.

When I scheduled the appointment today they said that since it’s a second visit they will provide a loaner and keep the car longer if necessary. The woman on the phone said they had been unable to replicate the issue when the car was there the first time.

Has anyone else on here had that issue? If so, did it get resolved? I’m wondering if I should start preparing for a lemon law claim since this definitely relates to safety.

Not on our 5 series. But document it when it shows up next time.
On the brighter side, having a loaner at the moment isn’t too bad, free mileage lol

1 Like

Hey,

I had the same exact problem on my 2019 X2 M35i. I bought it brand new in June 2019 and problem 1st came up around August but i didn’t do anything about it. Again popped up in late November, so i took it to the dealer, they said that the sensor has to be replaced and the part needs to come from Germany. I took exactly 65 days for them to fix the problem. My car sat in the shop all that time, while i was using their loaner. Then again during the 1st week of march the error message popped up again. took it to the dealer where it sat for another 3 weeks. I was fed up and got in touch with an lemon-law attorney and filed a demand letter for BMW to buy it back. BMW finally agreed to buy my car back last week As of today Im in process of returning the car.

Hope this is helpful to you

1 Like